Tuesday, April 29, 2014

A Lesson from Martha


One of the blessings about having a smart phone is that I can listen to dynamic preachers everyday while I am doing my housework or working out in the garden. One of my favorite apps is called "Oneplace". I listen to at least half a dozen programs on  it, from Focus on the Family, to practical preachers like Chip Ingram.

As I shared in my last post, I have really been struggling. Circumstances I find myself in seem to not be getting better, but actually getting worse. I have been frustrated with God, asking Him all the time, "Do I not have enough faith? If so forgive me for my unbelief.". The trouble is I KNOW my God can do anything. He redeems and forgives and restores. He can take the bleakest of situations and turn them around for His glory. He can drop $2,000 checks from the sky. I KNOW all of this. My theology is sound. So why am I struggling so?

I felt like the Lord was telling me this is a WAITING issue. Waiting on God takes a lot of faith. As I listened to Chip's Easter message about Martha, Mary, Lazarus and Jesus, I saw my story in theirs. They begged Jesus to come when their brother fell ill. They knew Jesus could heal him. What was His response? He seemed uncaring as He waited for two more days before heading back to Judea. In the meantime, their brother DIED. Could you get a worse-case scenario? No wonder when Jesus showed up Martha showed her hurt by questioning the Lord.

"Lord, if you had been here, my brother would not have died.", she said.

She KNEW the Lord was capable of healing the sick. I am sure she had witnessed Him giving sight to the blind and and personally saw limbs being restored to their full use. Even after her brother died, she still had the faith to believe and TELL Jesus,

 " But I know that even now God will give You whatever You ask."

What faith! I know that I know God can do anything. But sometimes Jesus makes us wait because only He knows the glory that comes from waiting. More glory. More glory. More glory. That is why I must wait. Oh, what He will do with my story, if I but wait.

The most exciting thing about this is when Jesus said, "Lazarus, come out!" Someday, the Lord will do the same thing for me. I will stand there stunned as I watch the great masterpiece of His perfect Will come together. What those precious sisters must have felt. How they must have rubbed their eyes as their brother, dead, gone and starting to decay, walked from that tomb into the glorious light of the Life-Giver.

So I must wait. Hurting, yes. Not liking my circumstances, but surrendering them to the One who will allow it all to make sense one day.

Oh, how I love Him. Do you? If you are going through a season where it seems to rain night after night and their seems to be no relief, don't give up. Look to Jesus. That same resurrection power that raised Him from the dead is available to us. Is it your child? Your husband? Your church? Your friend? Your job? Your housing? Keep giving everyone and everything back to the Him. He truly cares. He wept for his friend Lazarus. How must weep for our loved ones too. I pray His Spirit comforts you and brings you hope as He has mine.


3 comments:

Cheesemakin' Mamma said...

Amen, Stace! This was well written and very thought provoking. Waiting truly is the hardest part. I love you and I'm here, holding your hand, waiting with you, praying for you and with you. God has not forgotten your family. He will continue to be with you every step of the way. Love you, sis!

Becky L. said...

I am praying for you. We were close to you all last week but were running around Hood River area in a much needed getaway for us. A refreshment was felt, by me, Sat. a.m. for sure. Too much stuff happening and my mom not well...just doing what we wanted to and enjoying the beauty of God's world....Rowena Crest...with wildflowers was just amazing and took our breath away. Life isn't easy, sometimes our valleys seem deep but soon there will be a climb up and better circumstances and answers await there. Our God's mercies are new every morning and He never leaves us nor forsakes us! Hugs and prayers, my friend!

Catherine said...

Waiting is SO difficult in this world when so many things are immediate for us. Bless you, Dear Friend!

Related Posts with Thumbnails