Monday, March 17, 2014

Getting Back to the Things I Love

Life just gets in the way sometimes. Pain stifles creativity. It feels like it wins. Well, I am coming out of a numb fog, and I want to enjoy some of life's simple pleasures again. A couple of those for me are photography (I am VERY much an amateur), reminiscing simpler times, going for long walks in the countryside and hanging out with my six children. I got do all four of those things yesterday and this post is a result of that.

 We went back to the old ranch I grew up on. The people living there are incredibly gracious and we have an open invitation to come back anytime we want. I love people like that! here are the kids in front of the main hay barn.

 Lots of time spent in this barn. Same hook was on the door. I must have opened it a million times growing up.

 My sister can appreciate this! When we crawled up to the rafters on the side of the barn, I found our old play fort. We had hauled this stove up there probably 33 years ago. Lily and Jessica were beside themselves when they found it. They thought it was so cute!

 It is quite vintage looking, isn't it?


 Josh is just getting so big! 

 Our old swimming hole.

 Looking for snails in the midst of the seaweed in the water trough.

 Here is the old bridge where we used to find old, rotten goose-eggs and throw them at the tree in the creek. Fun times! That is what you do when you don't have T.V.

 Couldn't believe I found this still on the fence post! This was the old coffee can that we hung from the tree and would shoot our .22 at. Someone saved it and put it up on the post. Talk about memories!



 This is the road that my mom affectionately dubbed "Lover's Lane". It leads to the lower barn.

 Jess likes to take the camera and get more artistic angles.

 The old farm equipment we used to climb on is still there. Look how far it has sunk into the ground!

I have another post coming up. Don't want to overwhelm you with too many photos ;)



8 comments:

Karlie Hodgen said...

Great pictures! I cherish the years I lived on a farm! So... how do I follow you Stacie? I'm new to blogger... am I missing a follow button somewhere? I don't want to get email updates, but have you on my reading list. Help! :)

Stacie, A Firefighter's Wife said...

I think you hit "join this site". It is on my sidebar.

I am thankful my kids have been humoring my nostalgic moments :)

Catherine said...

Awe, the pause that refreshes; I now have fond memories of the farm I grew up on and the one my kids grew up on. Thanks for the pictures and memories of YOUR ranch!

Cheesemakin' Mamma said...

So awesome! I was hoping that oven would still be up there! So many memories. I brings me to tears...

Kricket Nicholson said...

Wow! Those do bring back the memories! The best part is reading your memories associated with each if those pictures. Do glad you took the kids there! I remember several times that folks would stop by and say they lived there 50 years ago, etc. I lived letting them give me the tour of their memories of the place!

Camille said...

Such wonderful memories to share with your children! How fun that you found that old coffee can on the fence post...looks like you were a good shot. :) Too cool that you saw your little play oven...such treasures. :) Blessings to you! Camille

Lizzy said...

That is so cool that you were able to take your children to see where you grew up! I bet you made so many memories that day :)

Ashli K said...

Love these pictures and that little stove! How fun to see so much from your childhood is still there.

Related Posts with Thumbnails