Tuesday, October 29, 2013

This Day


This month has flown by! Where did October go? I haven't been on here much. My main focus has been my family, studying God's Word, and trying to build up and encourage women all around me. It is amazing to me how God uses my testimony almost every day. Somehow, someway, I am able to share with others how He is getting us through a long-term trial. He is good and He won't forsake us.

But every now and then, I get down in the dumps. The enemy taps on my shoulder and reminds me just how far we have left to go. Strangely he does this after each and every victory. When I am on a wonderful God-high and I am singing his praises, these times are when I am most vulnerable for the enemy to swoop in and create doubt and confusion. I am recognizing this tactic, though. I am starting to get ready for him.

God has been gracious and has taught me a thing of two on this journey of pain. He introduced me to Al-anon. Hmmm, you are thinking, oh no, her husband is a drunk! Well, he isn't. Actually, it was because of his issues with food that I started. During our 18-year marriage, I have tried every tactic to try to get him to lose weight. I have been shameless. I have not trusted God with this issue. Fear of being left with six children to raise drove me to new solutions, and manipulation tactics. It was driving a wedge in our marriage. There were many broken promises to change so bitterness has taken root in my heart. My friend, Catherine and my mom, urged me to get an Al-anon devotional book. I had grown up watching my mom read it so I went ahead and ordered it. Wow! I found that I didn't just use this book in my relationship with my husband, I could use this with all the people and situations in my life that caused me stress and anxiety.


It is all about changing YOU! You don't have the power to change anyone else. Everyone has their own bottom to hit. It teaches you have to be supportive and loving, with boundaries. It was a missing piece of the puzzle that God used to set me free.

The One Day at a Time concept has been profound for me. It is a Biblical concept (found in Matthew 6). "Do not worry about tomorrow, each day has enough trouble of it's own". I just had to share this with you...

"There are times when the "poor me" mood is upon us; we're overwhelmed by all the troubles we have to face. This is especially likely to happen when we have begun to try to change our thinking about ourselves and our relation to others. We may, at first, become too analytical and try to solve too much at once.

This day is mine. It is unique. Nobody in the world has one exactly like it. It holds the sum of all my past experience and all my future potential. It belongs to me to do with whatever I like. I can fill it with joyous moments or ruin it with fruitless worry. If painful recollections of the past come into my mind, or frightening thoughts of the future, I will put them away. They cannot spoil today for me.

"Today is my special gift from God. how will I use it? The less I let others affect it, the more serene and satisfying it will be for me."

                                 -Taken from One Day At a Time


4 comments:

aimee said...

As is so often the case, your post today speaks directly to where I am at. Our enemy sure takes advantage wherever he can, but we are not powerless because our GOD is a mighty God!
Al-anon (and the book you quote from) are both great--and NOT just for those who have alcoholics in their lives:)
Blessings,
Aimee

Camille said...

Yes. So true my friend. Just this day. Moment by moment. With the Lord. HE walks this path with you and will give the grace and strength needed for the journey. HE is Good. all the time. Love, Camille

Becky L. said...

my sentiments exactly! Thanks for sharing, Stacie. I was thinking about you today as I was driving the back roads through the country on my way back into town from a dentist's visit. Brandon Heath cd playing...aw, I love his messages in song. Hugs and thanks for sharing with other people what the Lord has done in your life and keep the faith, step by step til your journey is complete! :0) It's good to hear from you again. Now I'm going to your sis' blog and see what the two of you've been up to!

Cheesemakin' Mamma said...

As usual, your journey always effects me. I've used so many principles you are learning in my own life and I have so much more peace. I'm glad you are starting to catch on the enemy's tactics and out-maneuver him BEFORE you get to that place again. Keep up the good work, Stace.

Related Posts with Thumbnails