Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Worrying About Your Firefighter



I just received our copy of" International Firefighter" in the mail today. After gazing at the cover that said "Honoring the Yarnell 19", I flipped to the article. I was so saddened to see the faces of the 19 firefighters that were killed in Arizona this year. It was a terrible year for firefighters. In Oregon, I think we lost around four.

Why am I bringing this up? Firefighting is dangerous. I do not allow myself to think about this part of my husband's job very often. I could drive myself crazy with the thought of him dying in an inferno, but would it do any good? I have been the wife of a firefighter for 18 years, and have learned a few things along the way. I am a person who craves peace. When I am worrying, there is no peace.

Sometimes when I feel afraid, I choose to face my worst fears. When I feel an old or new fear arising, I play a game with myself. I say, "If __________ happened, then God would get me through it". I have even shortened it to "If______, then God." 

It has helped me so much. God will carry me. He will provide what I need. I know my husband is a Christian and where he is going if he dies. Would it be terrible? Hard? Scary? Lonely? Sad? Yes.... But I am never alone. My God will not forsake me.

Ladies, if your hubby has a dangerous job, please do not spend your life worrying. Worrying wastes energy and saps your day of its strength. Love the Lord. Trust your loved ones to Him.

I am praying for the families that have lost their loved ones this fire season. I pray God will envelop them with His love and peace today.

8 comments:

Cheesemakin' Mamma said...

All this could be said of military wives, too. I've clung to this as I've learned that worrying about my husband's safety is wasted energy. It sure helps knowing were they will go if something does happen, even if it would still be extremely grievous. I've seen marriages break up, mental breakdowns, health decline and addictions reign and of women who choose to worry about their husbands instead of giving it to God. This is a great reminder post!

Camille said...

Wise words my friend. Yes, whatever comes the Lord will give the grace and strength to walk the path. He is Good and Faithful. I am sure your post will be a blessing to many firefighters' wives...and to others who struggle with worry about what may be. Blessings and hugs to you! Love, Camille

Becky L. said...

Good post and a great reminder that prayers for our beloved thru the day amd trusting God instead of worrying is best. I get concerned if Phil is late from work and he's not called. The freeway is dangerous or getting there, can be hazardous. Still our service men, women, firefighters and policemen deserve our prayers as well. Thanks for sharing your thoughts. Now I'm gonna go spray wasps while they are in their nest, sleeping.

RaD said...

We just had a large fire start on the mountain very close to our little city. In fact our family visits there regularly as it is one of our favorite places to go together. When it first caught on fire on Sunday, Bethany was concerned about not being able to go there, and about the horses at that live at the base of the mountain.

I had to remind her it wasn't about the horses or even if our fun got ruined but it was about the people who had to leave their homes and more of all about the firefighters who were out there so close to it as it raged on. Every day when she checked on the updates (several times a day in fact) she always checked on the status of the firemen. And yesterday when we found out it was 80% contained, she took a moment to thank God that only three firemen were injured and that their injuries were very minor. She basically thanked God for protecting "her firemen". :)

Thank your husband for us for the job that he does. And thank you, Staci, for loving him despite your fears. For pushing through and allowing God to sustain those dark moments. For the ministry you have to others because you do.

Amy Smith said...

Thank you for this reminder. After more than 20 years "on the line", I have been to my fair share of LODD funerals; some of them closer than I'd like. I am usually okay with my husband's career choice but every once in a while, fear creeps in, often when I least expect it. I find my mind wandering down paths of what if's and your post reminds me that I don't need to solve the what if's with anything other than "God will..."

firefighter said...

nice post and a great reminder that prayers for our beloved. it happen with woman who have a husband like firefighter or soldier.

Anonymous said...

Wonderful post. But the firefighter that mask belongs to died from his injuries. He was a wonderful man, good friend and coworker of my husband. Keep safe.

Stacie, A Firefighter's Wife said...

Thank you for your correction. I must have misunderstood. I will pray for his family and for the coworkers that must miss him terribly. God bless you.

Related Posts with Thumbnails