Thursday, January 10, 2013

Six Days of Chicken!

The children were begging for their own little chicken, so I broke down and gave them each a Cornish game hen. They were $3.48 a piece! I was shocked. So I thought to myself, "you can make this last, just get creative."

The First Day: They each got their own Game Hen
That means no fighting over who gets the drumstick!

I covered them with salt, pepper, garlic powder and parsley and baked them at 350 until they were done (less then two hours). Super easy!
 Second Day: Chicken Stock

 I gathered all the leftover chicken and de-boned them. There was a lot leftover, especially white meat. I then threw their little carcasses into a big stockpot and added salt, garlic, pepper, celery, carrots and onions and water. I let it simmer all day long and got 1 2/3rd gallons of chicken stock for my soups!
 After they cool down a bit, I put them in the fridge. The next morning I skim all the fat that has congealed at the top. The stock is so yummy!
 Day Three: Chicken Cabbage Salads
Day Four: Thai Rolls. Here are my links to how to make them. This is a family favorite!!! I seriously can't make enough of them and they are very healthy and yummy!

Day Five: Clam Chowder
 I used the chicken stock to make Clam Chowder

Day Six: Cheesy Broccoli Soup.

This was my husband's request. I never made it before. Holy cow, there is a lot of cream, butter and cheese in broccoli soup. No wonder why it tastes good!

I love figuring out how to stretch my meat. It makes me feel like I am doing my husband good by keeping for the food bill down. If anyone else has any tips on stretching their meat, please leave a comment. Also, if there is a recipe you are are interested in and I haven't posted it on my blog, please let me know and I will get it up.

I also found an old post on how to be creative with using leftovers. Hope you enjoy it!

Blessings!


8 comments:

Ellen said...

I love your ideas Stacie! I too like to find ways to make meat go farther.I have never cooked game hens, but grabbed a turkey after Thanksgiving and made soup, pot pie and grilled sandwiches for meals.:)

Wanting What I Have said...

What a FUN idea to give each child their own chicken!!! My kids would LOVE this. I do a similar thing when I buy a whole chicken - I'll roast it along with potatoes and carrots and that plus salad is dinner for night one, I'll take the left over chicken, potatoes, and carrots plus a diced bell pepper and make a pasta dish - cook pasta, add milk with a little cornstarch to thicken and chicken leftovers plus pepper, warm together and you have a yummy pasta dish. Then I'll boil the carcass and make almost two gallons of stock. I LOVE cooking with whole chickens. LIke you said, it stretches our grocery money sooooo much further. Thanks for the fun idea. :)

Cheesemakin' Mamma said...

So proud of you, Stace! You have come a long way in the cooking from scratch/healthy eating department.

Grandma Becky said...

How fun and delicious. Never thought of using chicken broth in clam chowder. I like making clam chowder instead of eating the store bought soup. Too bad Megan is allergic to it! Sigh!

Amy Smith said...

I love the idea of each kid gets their own chicken! I'll have to try it! We often use chicken leftover to make chicken pot pie: basically lefotver chicken, leftover veggies, leftover mashed potatoes (I have used leftover rice, but the kids prefer the potatoes), leftover stuffing, and leftover gravy, all put into a large casserole dish. Cover with a pie crust and bake at 350 for half hour or so. We add cranberry sauce as a side and there is never anything left!

Camille said...

You are being a blessing to your husband in this way my friend! How wonderful it is to challenge ourselves like this!! What a fun idea to do an individual chicken for each child!! LOL! My kids like the drumsticks too. I usually cook two whole chickens at a time...so, there are enough drumsticks to go around. I love using whole chickens to make the budget go further as well. And, yes...there is NOTHING like homemade stock!! Another meat-stretching idea is to not use any!! I'll do eggs one night for dinner (the breakfast for dinner idea), and make a meal of beans and rice another night...with some sort of veggie or salad on the side. I like to use hamburger meat in dishes such as chili and make it go further by putting in extra beans...there...some of my ideas! :)

Much Love,
Camille

Stacie, A Firefighter's Wife said...

Camille, I so wish I could get away with not having meat. I've tried the bean thing and my family hates it!

Amy, great ideas! Thank you!!!!

American Home said...

Your ideas are wonderful. I divide my chicken stock into small plastic containers and freeze them. We use the stock to make chicken and dressings, chicken and dumplings, and just plain chicken noodle soup. I love how you gave each child their own little chicken. God bless you.

Related Posts with Thumbnails