Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Teaching My Children as We Walk

I usually walk by myself, but for some reason after reading Deuteronomy 11:18-21, I decided to slow down and bring the younger ones with me.

Savor. Enjoy. Teach. Hmmm, isn't this what being a mommy is all about?
"Fix these words of mine in your hearts and minds...Teach them to your children, talking about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up...
So that your days and the days of your children may be many in the land that the Lord swore to give your forefathers, as many as the days that the heavens are above the earth."
God wants us to take every opportunity to reveal who He is to our children. We have to slow down and recognize that our time is short with our them. Sometimes they will get more from a walk/talk then a canned devotional time. As soon as I get the devotions out, there is much sighing and resistance. If I work the Lord's ways of doing things into our everyday lives, it seems to work much better. Every family is different. Keep in mind, this seems to work for us in this season. I am teaching them more formally in their Sunday School class and when we do our Advent Story trees. This has been a nice mix for right now.

Lately, God seems to be telling me to pray that they will LOVE Him with all their heart, soul, mind and strength. If they love God, all else will fall into place. They will fight less, they will obey more, and will be less selfish. It starts with me though. I am praying that for myself as well. I want to love God like that, so I can love and serve my children in His love, power and strength, not my own.

4 comments:

Cheesemakin' Mamma said...

So true! It starts with us. Teaching the children about God in everyday life is so effective. I still think it is important to have devotion time as a family, but I think I think they learn more from just walking and talking :) Miss the you and the kiddos so much!

Camille said...

Oh, how we need HIM!! Precious photos of your precious ones my friend!

Love,
Camille

Anonymous said...

I was just thinking the other day about how much resistance I always got during devotions and hymn singing with the kids during homeschooling. The oldest, especially, would complain so much,she set the tone for the others. She still fights against the Lord.

Press on, sister! Don't give up because of their attitudes. I didn't always keep going, because she raged such battles. I have regrets, and she's still a prodigal in heart today.

Stacie, A Firefighter's Wife said...

It's such a tricky business isn't it? Because I have given so much Bible instruction to my children, they think they know it all. They have heard all the Sunday School stories. They know them frontward, backwards and forwards. What I am trying to focus on now is how God views attitudes and hearts. I am trying to more naturally fit it in during the day.

I also teach their Sunday school sometimes and we go through all the major stories of the OT during the Christmas season.

Thank you for your encouragement. I am trying to live it out. Preach it with my actions more than my words. I pray that when they are grown and gone, they will remember those words of the Lord that I tried to infuse into their hearts :)

I hope everyone understands that I am not advocating that people don't devotions with their children. I just so love the example in Deut. about it being infused in their lives. Eating, drinking, and walking in the Words of God. It was a life style, not a set 15 minute devotion.

Related Posts with Thumbnails