Monday, December 17, 2012

Motherhood


MOTHERHOOD 
The bravest battle that ever was fought!
Shall I tell you where and when?
On the maps of the world you will find it not;
'Twas fought by the mothers of men.
Nay not with the cannon of battle-shot,
With a sword or noble pen;
Nay, not with eloquent words or thought
From mouth of wonderful men!
But deep in a walled-up woman's heart --
Of a woman that would not yield,
But bravely, silently bore her part --
Lo, there is the battlefield!
No marshaling troops, no bivouac song,
No banner to gleam and wave;
But oh! those battles, they last so long --
From babyhood to the grave.
Yet, faithful still as a bridge of stars,
She fights in her walled-up town --
Fights on and on in her endless wars,
Then silent, unseen, goes down.
Oh, ye with banners and battle-shot,
And soldiers to shout and praise!
I tell you the kingliest victories fought
Were fought in those silent ways.

~ Joaquin Miller (1839-1913)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

So encouraging, sweet friend!

A new battle arose in my family with our oldest prodigal daughter. I am so weary!

Yes, the battles last from babyhood to the grave, and I am praying for strength to silently bear through!

Still praying for your battle.

mommamindy.wordpress.com

Cheesemakin' Mamma said...

You should be a four star general by now! This is a wonderful reminder.

Mindy, I'm so sorry to hear about your prodigal daughter. Praying she will submit the will of the Father. Praying for strength as you endure the battle.

Stacie, A Firefighter's Wife said...

Ugh, I am so sorry Mindy. I pray God will get a hold of her and protect her from herself. It is so heartbreaking when they don't obey the Lord.

Will pray my friend...

Stacie, A Firefighter's Wife said...

Ugh, I am so sorry Mindy. I pray God will get a hold of her and protect her from herself. It is so heartbreaking when they don't obey the Lord.

Will pray my friend...

Camille said...

Beautiful encouragement Stacie! May the LORD continually give you HIS peace as you walk this path of Motherhood. It is not for the faint of heart!! Merry Christmas to you and yours my friend.

Love,
Camille

Jenn said...

Love that poem. Thinking of you and praying for your family during this season.

Related Posts with Thumbnails