Thursday, January 19, 2012

Snow Sculptures and Chapter Books

 We finally got some snow! I guess making a snowman was not challenging enough, so they made sculptures  snow women. I was impressed at the level of detail they went into. Josh's had a lady holding a Bible. We all thought her nose was a bit interesting, but a good job none-the-less. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder!
 Here is Lily checking out Josh's lady.
Marcus couldn't figure out how to make the arms on his. I told him to give her a smooch for the camera. He actually did!

Alas, it is starting to melt now. I can't believe how much more laundry there is to do when it snows. It can be quite overwhelming.

Instead of turning on a movie last night, we started reading "Summer of the Monkeys". I was a bit worried about how I could get the little ones to be quiet and listen, so I allowed them to bring their Legos out and play with them as they listened. It worked great! I am determined to start reading chapter books to them. I know, it is pathetic that I haven't made this a priority. Honestly, I just haven't had the patience for it. Every time I would try to get the little ones to settle down, I would get more impatient and frustrated. It ended up not being what I envisioned. Now that Lily is almost three, I'm trying it again. After "Summer of the Monkeys", I plan on reading a "Hank the Cowdog" book and then start on the "Little House on the Prairie" books again. It is hard to find books that 13 years old boys to 3 year old girls enjoy!

9 comments:

RaD said...

Wow! I am certainly impressed by your boys' snow sculpting talent. Great job guys!

I've heard it said that you absorb more of what you hear when your hands have something to do. Hence the reason a lot of people doodle during class or a phone conversation. You may have hit the jackpot on getting the littles to hear the story each time. :)

Wanting What I Have said...

WOW! Their sculptures are AMAZING!!! I am so impressed!!! Great job guys!

And good for you for reading those chapter books aloud! I KNOW how frustrating that can be and I can only imagine trying to find books that entertain all ages! :) We read Amy Carmichael's biography earlier this year and my older two (7 and 4) were enthralled...we also read "Joni's Story" about Joni Eareckson-Tada and I don't think they moved while I read. They actually woke me up early one Saturday begging me to read the last few chapters.

Thank you for your sweet comment. I so appreciate all the prayers. It's been a hard season and God is so faithful and so gracious and I am so thankful to be His!!!

Cheesemakin' Mamma said...

I love the snow women! What a great idea :)

I'm so glad you are reading chapter books with the kids. My kids, even Hailey is really into them. They are currently loving "Little House in the Highlands" since I speak in a Scottish brogue. What an exhausting way to speak, LOL!

Nadine said...

Great job on the snow ladies!
We have a snowdog, penguin and igloo in our front yard!
It is still snowing up here, which makes my hubby happy! :)

Blessings!
~Nadine

Mara Wildflower said...

Those snow sculptures are pretty impressive. I surely couldn't make anything like that!

I hope your chapter book reading with the children turns-out well.

Mich said...

Love the snow sculpture!

Catherine said...

The scupture is lovely; you are fortunate there is enough moisture in the snow to form it into anything at all! Our is hopelessly dry. Reading aloud to your kids will be, for them, an unforgettable experience!

Grandma Becky said...

love the snow sculpture! Chapter books are fun, we did that. We just got rain where we are. Took some flood photos today when I was out visiting my mom. Oh my, glad we aren't close to a river! Will post something soon!

ღ soraya ღ said...

Hi friend as you have noticed my blog is empty i left a message to everyone so you can join me back..pff..stay hours doing this..dont want to lose my friends...in case here is the link who will bring you there past it on top of your page...or click the link on my old blog...im not there anymore just leaving it untill all things start to work hope you find me...loves and thank you..

http://thebattleofthegoodfaith.blogspot.com/

Related Posts with Thumbnails