Wednesday, January 25, 2012

REAL Snow Cones and My Musings

 Jessica wanted to take advantage of all our ice and snow and make REAL snow cones.

 We gathered snow. Notice she is getting where everyone has been walking? Ugh! I kept telling her to go someplace new, but she wouldn't listen. Oh well!
 Steve had bought them some cheap pop at the Dollar Store. A real treat, since Mom never lets them by it.
I also gave them permission to use my espresso syrups to pour over it. I think it was probably too sweet. Andrew was not impressed. They all seemed to agree that pop was best.

Now, if I would have had blue raspberry syrup or bubblegum, I probably would have partaken. That is about the only snow cone I will ever eat.

I can't believe how much fun we are having as a family. The movies stay are staying off most of the time, and we are playing game after game of Trouble with the little ones. Reading so many books, I'm afraid I'm going to get the vocal nodules back! I am seriously losing my voice over it. I have a hard time saying no when they bring a book to me. I LOVED reading as a child. We lived on a ranch and didn't have TV growing up. We read, we played, we read and we played.

Tonight, the kids were playing freeze tag (a little loud when we are in the house). I sent them outside and they were still playing it in the freezing rain, ice and snow. I couldn't believe it! I'm not hearing, "Can we watch a movie?" nearly as much anymore. Even Steve seems to be watching less. Steve and I love playing Scrabble together when he is not working. I love doing this because he has never been much of a game person.

I'm just having so much fun spending time with my children. I am enjoying them more than ever. I don't know if it is because they are getting older or I am less distracted by the internet, books, and other media. I am loving it though!

5 comments:

candy said...

I love family time/game time. Dennis and I have been playing a lot of Yahtzee.He gets yahtzee every single game for the last 10 or probably more like 15 games and almost all of the yahtzees were with 5's. Now that is amazing. Your kids would be so impressed with him. Dennis is pretty proud of it.So happy for all the happy smiles at your house.I love you all.
Oh dennis and I watched a really good movie/documentary about a horse man.Its called Buck.Very interesting.I know your family would love it.although it isnt history.

RaD said...

It's probably a little of both. BUT I do notice my kids are much better behaved when Yohn and I are more unplugged.

Cheesemakin' Mamma said...

Please tell me they weren't eating snow anywhere near where the dog poops, EWWWW! There is no way I would have eaten that snow.

That is so nice that the kids and you are less distracted by all the media. I'm proud of you for the steps you have taken to minimize in this area. Take care of that voice. Remember how they taught you to talk. Nice and easy.

Catherine said...

Family games are wonderful! My daughter made snow ice cream from Little House on the Prairie books recipe when she was the age of yours. THAT! was tastey.

His bondservant said...

Now that looks fun. I always enjoy family game night as well. So glad the Father has given you a renewed appreciation for your children. What a blessing!

Related Posts with Thumbnails