Thursday, December 15, 2011

My Musings


(My favorite Christmas decoration. My jewelry tree that my parents made me)

I just haven't felt like blogging much lately. Life has gotten in the way. I'm not going to lie to you, it's been tough.

(My almond biscotti  is my Christmas gift to our parents)

After Grandma Mary died, my husband graciously watched the kids so that I could go to my mom's and help her with the overwhelming task of sorting out Grandma's things. It was so hard, but I was thankful that my mom didn't have to do it alone. My mom and I even took a little time to play and I got to listen to her do an Underground Tour in Pendleton. She is so cool! She volunteered to do a tour for free for the ladies who are in drug and alcohol counseling. I was shocked at how young they were, but how old they appeared. I silently prayed for them as I followed them in the tour. They were so sweet, polite and thankful.

(Our tree full of firefighter ornaments. You wouldn't believe how many firemen Santas there are!)

I hit the ground running from then on and found myself so far behind that there was one day where I didn't get on the computer to check my email! That is a true rarity!

(Steve's Dad putting the final ornament on our Advent Tree)

I have been dealing with a lot of misbehavior with my children. It has been a full-time job and I am doing my best to keep my head in this game. Part of that is not doing extra-curricular activities, such as blogging or watching movies. I am trying to be as consistent as possible and paying attention to what is going on around me. I have several children that tend to slip under the radar. They know how to escape when there is work to be done!

 (Last year, Lily had fun crawling all over the presents)

( Andrew doing some Christmas baking last year. These bacon/chestnut wraps are a family favorite!)

I've also been going regularly to physical therapy for my shoulder and arm pain. We are making slow progress, but due to my stress level, it is taking a long time. God is teaching me ways to reduce my stress and I am listening. I'm getting down right sick of this nerve pain! I want to get better so badly. I was blessed with a free pass to a gym and have been going regularly. One of the biggest strides I have made is my posture. It is 70% better! I have always had bad posture and it feels like a miracle that I can be relaxed enough to pull my shoulders back and sit up straight. My back is stronger than it has been in years and is less likely to go into spasm. I think gardening will be a breeze this year if I keep it up!

Homeschooling has been going good. Andrew is starting to put some words together on his own and we have now started the Super Silent E. Teaching reading is not one of my favorite things to do. I am so Type A and impatient. I have to really force myself to slow down and wait for him. I love teaching my children science, history and Bible though.

Jessica just finished her third grade grammar book and is headed into fourth! I am going to work more on writing skills and typing with her, especially since she is starting to email now.

The rest are just plugging along. Attitudes have been much better. We are all looking forward to Christmas break!



(Diana is enjoying her Grandchildren at two Christmas's ago. Such a blessing to have family come and celebrate with us!)

It snowed last night! Our first really big snow! Now is the season for muddy floors and wet snow pants to be flung all over the floor. Oh, but when they see the hot cocoa their mama made to warm them up, there will be squeals of delight!

(This is three winters ago, when Jacob was a baby)


I got to go on a date with my dad last night. He took me to dinner and then we went on our annual Christmas shopping trip. So fun and special! I love that man. I am so thankful for the close relationship we have.

Christmas is around the corner. We are in the thick of advent trees, parties, decorating, wrapping and baking.  I love this time of year. I especially love taking time for advent.

That's all there is. If you don't hear from me much these next few weeks, it is because I am focusing on what is the most important thing in my life, the Lord, my family and friends.

Have a Merry Christmas everyone!

11 comments:

Heather said...

Please email me! I have a question about your blog :)
HeatherVonsj@gmail.com

Nadine said...

We have been having some of the same issues around here. It is hard with Christmas to keep everyone focused and behaving! :)

Wishing you and your family a very Merry Christmas and God's blessings in the New Year!

Blessings!
~Nadine

Rachel and Family said...

I didn't get enough of you on the phone so I went to your blog and glad to catch up a little by reading it. Hang in there Stacie. Give yourself some TLC like you do for others. You're a person too :) ! And get some duct tape- mouths, hands, feet, (totally kidding!!) But really just set it out for all the children to see. lol!
xoxoxo

Catherine said...

Oh, Stacie, I'm just getting around to your LAST blog too. Life is taking place in the fast lane right now. I love you, dear one, and can hardly wait to spend a little time with you!!

Tillie said...

I just wanted to give you encouragement and support along with Nadine - we also have been dealing with the stress, misbehaviour (I'm SO tired of my 3 yo screaming! Yikes!) and the attempt to cut back on extras of my own in order to focus more on the fun of family and the season. It has been hard. My own DH is military and was away all last week on business and I won't pretend that screaming has not been more normal than I'd like. hang in there and love those kiddies. I do enjoy reading what you write and LOVE that cute jewelry tree!

Cheesemakin' Mamma said...

I'm proud of you for taking time off blogging and focusing on what is the most important. I've been blogging a lot less these days, trying to keep my head in the game. Love my jewelry tree, too. I'm so glad you were able to go back up to Mom's house and help sort the rest of Grandma's stuff. It was great to see you and play a couple games of Scrabble!

Mara Wildflower said...

I always enjoying hearing updates from you.

It sounds like you have been having quite a busy family life. It's a good thing that you have been away from blogging/Internet to attend to those matters that are the most important to you.

I'm still sorry to hear that you are in pain with your shoulder though, ugh! I pray that the physical therapy will help relieve some of the mental and physical stress.

Take care, and hang in there, Dear Sister. {{{{Hugs}}}}

-M. Wildflower

Marie said...

I enjoyed your post. I can believe the amount of fireman Santas you can find. A friends son and his wife are expecting a baby and are doing the nursery in a fireman theme. I had never heard of that and began to look for shower gifts and there were lots of things to choose from. The nursery looks great. I wish you and yours a wonderful Christma and a Happy New Year.
Love,

Marie

Robin said...

*hug* I can barely keep my blog running and I only have two kids and they're mostly independent. So - I fully endorse your decision to focus on what's truly important. *more hugs*

Gina Kleinworth said...

Love the fire ornaments!! We have plenty ourselves. (my hubs is a fire chief here) So happy to have found you!

Stacie, A Firefighter's Wife said...

Nice to meet you! Hope you visit often!

Related Posts with Thumbnails