Monday, December 5, 2011

Grandma Mary 1929-2011

 
This Saturday morning, my  mother called me and said with a trembling voice that my grandma had passed away. I was so shocked. I just cried and cried. I couldn't believe the loss I felt. So many memories flooded my mind at that moment. The children wrapped their arms around me and told me how sorry they were. They don't often see me cry like that.

I was able to get a hold of Steve who was at the fire station and he came home immediately to watch the kids so that I could go be with my mom and sister.  I had a two hour drive to think about the impact that this precious woman made on my life.
(Grandma loved dressing up. Here she is dressed up for our Revolutionary War party)

I knew my grandma loved me. She said it so often with such conviction.

 She treasured my children and showered them with gifts at Christmas time.

She would show her twin granddaughters off anytime she had a chance.

My fondest memory is whenever it was time to say goodbye until she was able, she would stand on the front porch and wave until we were out of sight. She had the most beautiful smile!

She was the Christmas toy queen! She loved singing, moving Christmas toys. You should have seen her collection!

She had really been doing poorly this summer, but she rallied and was doing great these past couple of months. She had severe COPD and was on constant oxygen. That is why we were so surprised that she forgot to put her oxygen back on after getting ready for bed. She slowly slipped away and died like the way we all want to go, in our sleep. Not a hint of struggle. Such a blessing.

We needed to start packing her things out of the apartment. It was a treasured time for mother and daughters. We laughed and cried and cried and laughed. I chose two personal things. I saw her glasses with the pearls that went around her neck, and her motorcycle boots. She had those beautiful boots since I was old enough to remember.

My sister was able to visit her the night that she died. Jackie and the kids went over and had a treasured time with her. No regrets. She wrote about her story on her blog and the pictures are amazing. It's worth the trip.

(She loved holding the babies. Here she is with Lily when she was a few months old)

I am so thankful that last time I passed through, I stopped and saw her. It was a short visit and I had no idea that it was going to be my last. Our last words to each other was "I love you".

I am also thankful to know that she was a Christian. She knew the Lord was her Savior. What a comfort, what peace I draw from that knowledge that I will one day see her again.

As I was driving home from my mom's, I realized just how thankful I am for family. I am blessed to have a family that will drop everything to be there and support each other. Not everyone has that and it is a gift. We are loyal to the bone. We love each other. What a perfect time of the year to think about such things and value them.

Hug everyone a little tighter.

Time is short.

No regrets...


This is some of her family at her 80th surprise birthday party.

12 comments:

Nadine said...

Praying for you and your family...may God grant you peace and comfort during this time.

Blessings!
~Nadine

caz1975 said...

I'm so sorry to hear of your loss, my precious grandma passed away this year too and it was heartbreaking! May God bring you peace as you walk through your sorrow!! xxoo

Ellen said...

I'm so sorry Stacie! Praying for you & your family. ♥ May the Lord bless you all with comfort.

Wanting What I Have said...

Makes me so teary. What a beautiful legacy! Praying for the God of all comfort to sustain you with His peace. Love you.

MommaMindy said...

I am so sorry for your loss. What a heartache. I'm thankful she knew the Lord, so you won't have to sorrow as the world does, with no hope.

I got the giggles when you said you wanted her motorcycle boots. I guess that tells even a little more about this precious gramma! :)

Lizzy said...

Stacie,
I am so sorry for your loss. I hope that you take great comfort in the fact that you will see her again in heaven. I will be praying for you and your family during this difficult time. May God bring all of you peace in the sadness.

<3 Liz

Trina said...

Prayers for peace and healing for you and your family. I am so very sorry for your loss.

Jennifer said...

So so sorry

Cheesemakin' Mamma said...

I love you so much, Stacie! I can't thank you enough for coming up when you did. I'm so glad we were able to share those raw moments of grief and help get each other through. Looking at these pictures made me realize just what a beautiful woman she was all over again. Lovely tribute, sis!

Jill said...

I had just read this on your sister's blog tonight also and I am so very sorry for your family's loss! My thoughts and prayers are with you all.

Most Sincerely,

Jill

Cindy said...

lots of prayers for your family...i found your blog through cassandras.....I have 6 children, but I have 4 girls and 2 boys :-)

Joy Comes in the Morning said...

I am so sorry for your loss. My sweet grandfather passed away in October. The pain is intense at times, especially around the holidays. But life goes on and I know that I will see him again one day.

Related Posts with Thumbnails