Friday, December 2, 2011

Go For The Eternal!

Dear Mothers,


I was on a friend’s blog the other day and I came across this exhortation. “Go for the eternal. By God’s grace you will never regret it”. It really pierced my heart. I mean, it REALLY stopped and made me think.

How often do I actually “go for the eternal”? Not as often as I would admit. To be truthful, maybe two out of ten times. That is not a very good average. Why do I often focus on the temporary? Because, it is in my face at the moment. It is all I can see. I have trouble stepping back from the difficult situation and seeing the big picture. God’s picture. God’s view of things. Since I know I struggle with this, I need to be praying for an eternal perspective that only He can give me.

So when...

The goats get out and the kids are “trying” to get them back in as my raspberry bushes get destroyed, “Go for the eternal”.

When I have all six children at each other’s throats, instead of joining in the mayhem and getting angry because they just can’t get along and inevitably losing it myself, I need to “go for the eternal.”

When my husband calls me from work (after completing a 24 hour shift) and says there is another 24 hour shift available but it’s pure overtime and all I can think of is all the plans dashed to pieces and my “relief” is not coming, I need “to go for the eternal”. I need to graciously say "yes" if it in my power to do so. Not with annoyance and irritation. God will get me through the day, just like He got me through the day before.

When I have just finished sweeping and mopping the floor and a child drops a whole bowl of canned peaches on the way to the table, I need to “go for the eternal”. Freaking out will only hurt their heart. How many times have I accidently spilled things? Does it really matter in the scheme of life?

A great guideline is to think to yourself, “Would this matter in ten years?” Most of the time it doesn’t.

I don’t want any regrets. My time with my children seem like forever, but I know that my job is temporary. After they are launched into the world, I will truly see how these daily choices that I make are going to affect eternity.

It’s simple, yet profound…

Be encouraged. Go for the eternal. No regrets.

From One Mom to Another,

9 comments:

Donna B said...

What a wonderful thought! Thanks for the reminder!

Trina said...

Exactly. Tremendous post! Fire Wife Life does not always make it easy, but faith endures.

Catherine said...

God is at the helm of this ship we think is sinking sometmies. He WILL NOT let us sink! He is faithful and full of enduring grace, Stacie. Thank you for the reminder!

Kristin Bridgman said...

This was so good! Thanks for sharing this. I will remember "go for the eternal" in all my situations :)

caz1975 said...

Good to think about in the exasperating moments of the day, thank you :-)

OurLilFullFam said...

This really got me whe I heard Kevin Lehamn say when your child of say age 4 spills the milk trying to make her own bowl of cereal, don't get upset. It doesn't change things. What you need is a rag. Angry doesn't clean up the milk. So, so true!

Stephanie

Wanting What I Have said...

I am SO with you! :)

Homestead Living said...

Excellent reminder! Thanks for sharing this.

kathy said...

Great reminder!

Related Posts with Thumbnails