Sunday, August 21, 2011

Released From Bondage


Another excerpt from When Godly People Do Ungodly Things by Beth Moore.

"Satan tries to corrupt thoughts to manipulate feelings. He knows that the nature of humankind is to act out of how we feel rather than what we know. One of our most important defenses against satanic influence is learning to behave out of what we know is truth rather than what we feel. Satan's desire is to modify human behavior to accomplish his unholy purposes, 2 Timothy 2:26 states that Satan's objective is 'to take them captive to do his will.'

If we have received Christ as our Savior, Satan is forced to work from the outside rather than the inside. Thus, he manipulates outside influences to affect the inside decision-makers of the heart and mind."

But what happened in John 4 when the Bible talks about the woman at the well? We find that after being confronted with her sin, she was actually telling people what she did!!! She wasn't ashamed anymore. Do you know why?

Beth says, "Because when Christ takes authority over our pasts and we allow Him to confront them, treat them, and heal them, we exchange our shame for dignity! When Satan targets a believer who has wholehearted, sincere and pure devotion to Christ, he latches on to weakness more often than sin. You may be wondering, But what about the sins of our pasts? Beloved, one of the times when Satan pounced on me most ferociously and used my past sins against me, I had already repented of those sins. They could no longer be used as sins against me. But here's the catch: they were still weaknesses! Why? Because I had asked God to forgive me, but I had never asked God to heal me completely, redeem my past, restore my life, sanctify me entirely, and help me to forgive myself. Until I allowed God to take full authority over them in every way, my past sins-though turned from and forgiven-were still vulnerabilities where Satan could pray.

Thank goodness, my past sins aren't invitations to Satan anymore, and your don't have to be either. Trust Him with every inch of your past, present and future! Until you do, you are susceptible to seduction."


2 comments:

Jenn said...

Thank you so much for posting this! Beth Moore is a wonderful teacher and author. I needed to hear those words this morning!

Grandma Becky said...

Thanks for this post. It goes along with the sermon our pastor gave today about sexual immorality. 1 Thess. 4:1-8 We need God's forgiveness for our sins then He buries it in the deepest sea and we shouldn't go dredging it up! It's gone and we are free! Thank you Jesus!

Related Posts with Thumbnails