Thursday, June 9, 2011

Redwoods Vacation Part Three: Drive Through a Tree W/ 12 Passenger Van!

 It sounded fun. It looked great. But oh, the reality of trying to take a 12 passenger van through a tree!
 As I was driving in, I kept thinking, "Why isn't Steve doing this?" Because he is the smart one, that's why!
 We folded in the mirrors, but I still had to wiggle side to side to get through without scraping. If our van would have been an inch bigger, I don't think I would have made it.
 Steve and Paul were in front of me while I desperately tried not to panic. Every time I would move one way, the mirror was going to scrape, so I had to quickly move the other way. They said I was over-correcting. All, I knew was I was committed and I just needed to get out of there!
At this point, I stopped and tried not to pull my hair out! Too many chiefs and only one Indian! I couldn't keep up with what they wanted me to do. Steve was yelling at me to turn this way, and I was yelling back telling him "I can't"!

Somehow I managed and God got me out of that tree without any damage! When I saw Rachel, she was laughing hysterically and said it was the highlight of her vacation. I think I made two other couple's vacations as well. Everyone was watching and it was so embarrassing. Now it's funny, but at the time it was NOT! LOL! I can't believe I paid $5 to experience sheer panic!

I think I need a T-Shirt that says, "I Survived the Tour Through the Tree".

13 comments:

Rachel and Family said...

Okay, I'm laughing again!! LOL!

We went through it before in our 15 passenger and I was co-pilot. I felt SO trapped when we were inside and there is no way out because you can't open the doors.

Knew you could do it Stacie!!

xoxo

Wanting What I Have said...

You are absolutely HILARIOUS!!!!! I mean really, what's cool mom you are! My hat is off to you! Rock on, friend!!!

JuRita said...

Lol! Love the wiggling part. ha! and $5 dollars.. I would have thought the same thing ;) blessings!

MommaMindy said...

I'm too clausterphobic to do that, I think I would have to walk through. What a memory you just made for your kids. Good for you, Mom!

kathy said...

What an adventure! Sounds like you had so much fun! I can imagine how good it must be to see your friend again! Friendships are truly gifts from God!

Nadine said...

Great vacation photos...I enjoyed looking at them! My hubby and I went to the Redwoods during our honeymoon, some 20 years ago! :)

Blessings!
~Nadine

caz1975 said...

sorry had to laugh, I would've paniced too. One for the special holiday memories there :-)

Homestead Living said...

Oh my!!! That sounds like quite an experience! :) I never knew you could do such a thing. Fun memories.

Heart n Soul said...

oh wow .... wouldn't want to get stuck in that one!!! hope it was a fun day :)

RaD said...

You'd think they'd have a width thing listed somewhere to stop you from taking large vehicles through it. Odd.

Looks like fun in a smaller car sort of way :)

I went back and read through your previous posts. It looks like your vacation was both fun and relaxing and how wonderful you were able to spend it with close friends.

Stacie, A Firefighter's Wife said...

Ruth, the lady at the bottom of the tree said that "I had miles!!!" and that it was "no problem"!

Cheesemakin' Mamma said...

LOL! Those pictures are priceless! I would have gotten out and made Steve do it. That stinker! You're way nicer than me. I'd have crawled out the back! Oh well, this stuff is what memories are made of :)

Anonymous said...

Stace,
LOVED your vacation blogs. Great pictures, too! The drive through tree story is my favorite, of course! We went through in a van when I was about 15, but our van was narrower than yours. It was close, but not THAT close! Somewhere, I have a picture of your Dad driving through it in a VW bug. Somehow, Larry and I missed it when we were there last summer.

Your yard looks really beautiful, too. You do have a green thumb! Didn't get it from me,that's for sure! Love - Mom

Related Posts with Thumbnails