Sunday, June 19, 2011

Introducing...My Fathers


Being that it is Father's Day, I thought it would be fun to introduce you to the men in my life who have helped shape me into the person I am.

This is my dad, Russ. This man works harder than anyone I've ever known.  He is also the toughest person I know. Everyday, this man pushes through pain to get the job done. He is a hay-farmer/cattle rancher/horse trainer/horse-shoer.  His body has taken a beating over his 58 years of living. He has been in severe motorcycle accidents and has fought with horses to train and shoe them. This man taught me to not be afraid of a little work. Even when I was growing up, we were very good friends. Even now, we can be brutally honest with each other and still be OK. I have always treasured that in our relationship.

Growing up, the one thing that I remember is even though he would mess up and sometimes yell or even say a swear word or two, he would always come back and apologize. I try to remember that when I am parenting my children. Children are very forgiving, as was I. I knew my dad was human and that he made mistakes. But he showed me how important it was to restore the relationship by saying sorry. He had to swallow a lot of pride to do that.
 He is very good with his grandchildren and they in turn LOVE their Papa Russ. He is teaching them to ride horses, drive tractors and help out at the ranch.

This is my step dad, Larry. Larry came into my life when I as 16. My twin, Jackie and I were immediately loved and accepted by this man. Honestly, he was easy to love because he treated (and still does) my mom like a queen. Larry is a romantic at heart and knows how to treat a lady. You will NEVER meet a man who romances his wife like this man. He is creative and extremely thoughtful.

When I think of Larry, I think of him being an overcomer.  He grew up a Navy brat and started drinking and using drugs at a very early age. After decades of this behavior, he finally sought help. Afterwards, he became an awesome drug and alcohol counselor. He is a living, breathing testimony of God's mercy, forgiveness and grace! He has such a heart for addicts to be free from their addictions!

Since Larry never had any children of his own, he has really enjoyed every stage of grandparenting. He has been able to experience babies, toddlers, and now tween-agers. He is a very good grandpa and is very protective of his granddaughters. He is going to be the one with the shotgun. No one is going to be good enough for them! LOL! It is very sweet.


This is my Father-In-Love, Vern. He is really Steve's stepfather, but raised Steve from the age of five. He is another one of those men that did what it takes to provide for his family. Vern was raised in severe poverty in Arkansas. After graduating high school he he joined the Air Force and did some travelling. Vern has owned several motels, Dunkin' Donuts, coffee shops, and even a house-cleaning business. Steve said he worked like a dog for years. He is now retired and is happily playing golf and travelling. He was a pilot for years and owned several different types of small aircraft.

I have known Vern for 17 1/2 years. Steve's parents immediately welcomed me into their family. I don't think I have ever been mad at this man! EVER... Isn't that amazing? I always hear these horror stories about in-laws. I can't relate at all. I am sooo incredibly blessed. We have vacationed together and can chat on the phone for an hour. He is a wonderful grandpa and enjoys spending time with our children, as well (even though he is terrified of changing a poopy diaper!). We have had a few health scares over the past few years. Praise God things have turned out all right, it has made us appreciate and treasure him even more.

And here is my hubby, a father of six! I so appreciate the sacrifices that he makes for us on a daily basis. He has enabled my dreams of being a wife and a mother to come true. Steve is a very intelligent man who does his job extremely well. He is an excellent Lt. and a wonderful paramedic as well.

Happy Father's Day! I pray that you will all continue to grow into the men that God would have you be. It doesn't matter how old or young you are. Continue to seek and find the calling God has on your life to further His Kingdom.

Thank for loving and accepting me for who I am. It means so much to me.

LOVE YOU!!!!!!

10 comments:

Catherine said...

Wonderful tributes, Stacie!

Sarah said...

This was lovely Stacie! It was great to "meet" the male figures who have helped shape your character!

Kristin Bridgman said...

It's so nice to meet the men in your life. You are blessed! I'm so glad:)
Thanks for sharing.

h. rae said...

Happy Father's Day to the men in your life, Stacie! Hope you're enjoying this day!

Kristin said...

Great post! You speak so wonderfully of these men! Thanks for sharing.

Ps. found you "At the Well". I'll pray that your husband feels better soon. :)

RaD said...

Such a sweet post. I hope they all get a chance to see it.

Jill said...

What a lovely tribute to the men in your life!

Have a great evening!

blessings,
Jill

Grandma Becky said...

just was over at Jackie's site...now here. Love your post as well! Father figures that I have are good! Wouldn't change them for the world.

caz1975 said...

wow what a blessing to have so many good men in your life and in your chidlren's lives!! Love the tribute and the gratitude in this post :-). Father's day is in Sep here, I wonder why it's different?

Rachel and Family said...

Oh, that makes me cry. What a wonderful post of some awesome men.

Related Posts with Thumbnails