Friday, May 6, 2011

Stacie's Sausage Gravy (Doubled)

2 lbs pork sausage
1 cup of onion
1/2 cups of flour (you can use whole wheat pastry)
2 or three tsps of garlic (fresh or powdered) I like mine to have flavor
1-2 tsps of onion powder
2/3 of a gallon of milk
salt to taste (I like mine salty, so I usually add about 2 tsps of Celtic Sea Salt.)

Brown sausage and onion together ( do not drain grease). Add garlic and onion powder. Add flour and mix. It will be thick and hard to stir.

Slowly add milk. Stir often till it gets thick and bubbly. Add salt.

This recipe makes about a gallon of gravy. Whatever we don't eat, I freeze into quart size baggies. Thaw it out during the night, whip up some biscuits in the morning and heat up the gravy and it is one easy meal! I love my sister's recipe for whole wheat biscuits in a pan.

3 comments:

Kimberly said...

Your tapping into my southern side! My Dad {raised in St Louis}, loves biscuits and sausage gravy. My Mom was born in NE-OK; it was a staple that her Momma made {lucky that my Dad married a girl with southern roots!}

I make it using a package of store bought gravy mix, the reason is that I'm so very allergic to onions and garlic. I cannot eat anything that even has a hint of onion/garlic in it... So I can't cook with them either- the packaged stuff seems to be OK for me to cook with, I don't eat it either though.

Stacie, A Firefighter's Wife said...

Oh, I wouldn't know how to cook without onions and garlic!

Catherine said...

Well, now yer talkin', girl! That sounds sumptious.

Related Posts with Thumbnails