Monday, April 18, 2011

First Tae Kwon Do Tournament

 These pictures will have to do. I got to the tournament, grabbed my camera to take pictures and what do you know? My camera is completely busted. One of the kids must have dropped it hard and didn't tell me. It was toast. Luckily, I had brought my video camera as well. I can't figure out how to load it on to my computer though. Arggghhh! I so wanted to share these with all of you.

Jessica got a gold medal for her form. Next she sparred. I was so nervous and scared for her. She was going up against a boy first. She was very aggressive and made the poor boy cry twice. He finally gave up at the end after she got him in the leg pretty good. She then had to fight a girl who had legs way longer than hers. With TKD, it is all about kicking. Whoever had long legs seems to have a pretty good advantage. She held her own, but didn't win that match. So in the end, she got a silver medal. We were so proud of her!
Marcus also sparred for the first time. He did really good. But unfortunately, there was some unfair politics going on. He didn't get a fair shake, but he can still be really proud of himself. This was a good lesson because Marcus has always had a hard time with unfairness. I was very happy to see him accept defeat with grace and honor. It was a huge step.

I don't have any pictures of Steve in his gear, but he did great as well. He won a bronze medal for his form. He sparred as well and won a gold medal. We were so excited that he got first place the very first time he sparred. The best part is that he is still upright and not on disability! LOL! I think he did break a toe though.

Our TKD school entered 11 contestants. We took home 18 medals which was an amazing coup! Most of the schools have been around for years and years and they practice 2 to 3 times a week and have had lots of experience in sparring. We are a newer school and only have class once a week. This was the first time any of the contestants had participated in a tournament and sparring. Jeremy, our instructor was stoked!

It was a long day though! 12 hours from start to finish. I'm so thankful my mom took the three younger children for the weekend, so that I could go and not worry about chasing them around and filming at the same time. I have a feeling there will be more of these in our future. They all enjoyed it and want to do it again.

7 comments:

candy said...

Very good!!! I was nervous I forgot I was watching the little ones.Was happy to hear grandma had them. What about Josh did he not compete?

His bondservant said...

Oh, so sorry about your camera! Glad you had a great day at the competition though!

Mich said...

I can't stand it when I either forget the camera or somethng goes wrong...love my pictures.

Their cute in all their gear.

Good job too!!!

Cheesemakin' Mamma said...

So proud of all the TKDs in your family. Hope you get the video thing figured out!

Catherine said...

Bummer about your camera, and great on the time they had with medals and all. I'm so glad for all of you!

Parsley said...

Love all that protective gear. Wish I had one for my husband to wear so I could practice my self defense on him full force.

Lady Kara said...

Hi Stacey,

It's wonderful that you all had a great time! I've heard about martial arts and the positive effects on children in regards to discipline, fairness, and good sportsmanship. Now I'm more determined than ever to enroll my children. Thank you for this inspiring post!

God bless,

Lady Kara

Related Posts with Thumbnails