Stacie's Time Saving Tips
1. Make cookies into bars, instead of individual cookies. Learned that from my friend, Catherine!
2. When making biscuits, make biscuits in a pan. Make sausage gravy ahead of time (I usually make a gallon of it and freeze in quart jars). Makes a quick and easy breakfast.
3. Use your bread machine! Use your dough cycle and make two loaves a time. Freeze second loaf, or turn it into pizza dough. Click here to get my bread machine recipe. I use this for pizza dough, rolls, and bread. LOVE it! It doesn't require eggs.
4. When making soups and casseroles, make enough for another meal. You can also do this with cakes and quick breads. Freeze the other. Make sure you label it. why dirty up your kitchen twice?
5. Cut onions, peppers, celery and tomatoes. Shred cheese and zucchini. Freeze in two cup increments. It’s great for casseroles, soups and pizzas. Use that food processer if you have it!
6. Cook a whole chicken. Divide meat up into three dinners. I usually do two casseroles and one soup. Take bones and make broth out of it. Broth is water and bones. Simmer for 6-10 hours and then strain. Freeze broth. When you make your soup add the salt, garlic, bones, chopped onions, carrots and celery, etc. I also make my own cream of chicken soup with it. Saves tons of money and is so much better for you.
7. Buy in bulk. Many stores that cater to the restaurant business has 50 lb bag of turbinado (raw sugar) for sale. I go to Cash and Carry. Find a few people who would split it with you. Health food markets can order sucanat. Buy the biggest bag and split it.
Stacie’s Healthy Tips
1. Make your own jam, and use honey or turbinado (raw sugar). You can use both. Experiment to see how healthy you can get it without your family noticing.
2. Use as much whole grains as possible. Supplement white flour for whole wheat pastry flour in your baking.
3. Supplement sucanat whenever the recipe calls for brown sugar.
4. Supplement turbinado (raw sugar) whenever the recipe calls for white sugar.
If you have any other time or money saving tips, please leave them in the comment section. We could all use help in these areas.