Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Parable of the Popcorn


Dear Mothers,


A few days ago, I had to take my 23 month-old to the emergency room. She had shoved a popcorn kernel way up into her nostril and there was no way I was going to be able to get it out.

After watching her go through the trauma of having it removed, I felt God giving me a word picture about her ordeal.

In order to get Lily to stop fighting the, they wrapped her arms and upper body tightly in a sheet. As she was bound and helpless, she was looking into my eyes, wanting me to free her. It broke my heart to not be able to do anything but stroke her feet and pray for her. I was just hoping my presence would be enough. Through tears I repeated over and over that I loved her and that it would be O.K, but knowing that I couldn’t remove the pain of the process in which the kernel had to come out.

Later I thought about when I am in my own trials. The trial is like a sheet wrapped so tightly around me, I sometimes feel like I can’t even breathe. In my own short-sightedness, I look to my Heavenly Father with pleading eyes saying, “God make this stop! I’m scared. It hurts. Will it end soon?” Sometimes I am hurt and confused when He doesn’t take away the pain right away. I usually do not even realize it at the time that He is allowing something or someone to be “plucked” out of my life, which might be hindering my relationship with God. This foreign object could be as simple as unforgiveness and as complicated as pride.

I think we sometimes envision God sort of sitting idly in the” waiting room” of Heaven instead knowing His Holy Presence with me, stroking my brow and saying, “It will be over soon. Trust me, I will use this, my child.” He loves us so much. It must cost the perfect Father dearly to see His children suffer so.

Has God allowed a trial in your life that has left you questioning His goodness? His sovereignty? His mercy?

Sometimes we are being disciplined through our trials and other times we are being cut back and pruned so that we can bear even greater fruit. Whichever it might be, they both can be extremely painful.

I do know that when you seek Him with all of your heart, you will find Him. He hasn’t left. He is there touching you, and soothing you. The Spirit is praying for you with “groanings that words cannot express.”

“Cast all your cares upon Him for He cares for you.”

His Presence is with Us!

From One Mom to Another,

8 comments:

Ellen said...

I am so grateful that the Lord impressed this on your heart.(because your words were a much needed reminder for me) Sometimes, even when we truly know the Lord is doing what is the ultimate best for us...it helps so much to read these words from another..I have not been graceful through recent trials..I have pouted, gotten mad,wasted precious time because I want it to end in my time...not looking ahead to Gods perfect timing and grace. His plan!
Thank you for this timely reminder Stacie! ♥

Chelle said...

It's so wonderful how the Lord teaches us how to trust him. It is comforting to know he never leaves us. Thank you for the encouragement. I enjoyed reading it. Hope you daughter is doing well?

Amy said...

I am so glad that your little one is ok.

I think it is worse when it is your kids in pain.

I am working on trusting. There are times when you pray and pray and think that God doesn't hear. He does, he answers in his time not yours.

God Bless and have a wonderful day.

Camille said...

Nasty stuff! Poor thing! How precious to belong to the LORD...HE does all things well...all the time!

Many blessings,
Camille

RaD said...

Wow. What a lesson learned. How awesome that God can use those moments to really get the point across. I am also thankful they were able to get it out. What a traumatizing experience!

Trisha said...

Oh my, Stacie. Don't our little ones get into the craziest situations? I'm so thankful she's ok now, and I know that must have been so difficult to watch. Praise God for His mercies and for the truth He was reminding you of in the midst of this trial. How faithful He is!

Sarah said...

Thank you for this encouraging post Stacie! A great reminder to us all!

God Bless

Cheesemakin' Mamma said...

Wow, that popcorn kernel does look huge! Great job on this devo, Stace.

Related Posts with Thumbnails