Thursday, March 24, 2011

Cake Capers!

Ever since we got the ROKU and can instantly watch TV shows like Cake Boss (turned down because of the language), Pantry Raid and such, I am finding that my children are getting more and more interested in the kitchen. I treated myself to a simple cake decorating kit that had some tips and pastry bags. Now they are fighting each other for a turn in the kitchen!
We made a fun homemade yellow cake that was double-layered. I let Jess frost it. I outlined the clover and she filled it in. She got the concept very fast. We sprinkled it with some fun green sugar crystals.
Then I made a double layer carrot/apple cake. We made a delicious cream cheese frosting to go over it. Then I let her go crazy with the orange frosting!
For Lily's birthday we made homemade white cake with purple buttercream frosting. I love teaching the kids colors when we do the dye. I also treated myself to a cupcake stand that holds 13 cupcakes. The kids loved it! Andrew just likes tearing it apart and putting it back together again. It came with a little wrench, so the child is in heaven!
Marcus is going to make a new recipe tonight. Beef with noodles and a light sauce. It looks easy and fun!
I continue to refine my non-stressing skills as I bring the children in the kitchen more. The messes can make me crazy and I have to be so careful to bite my tongue and say, "now you get to clean that up". They are going to make messes, for heaven's sake. Why can't I get that into my head? I need to allow for the extra clean up and expect that it is going to take longer. If I can't allow for it and time is short, than I need to just say "No" that day. It is better than losing it and damaging my relationship with my children.
Posted by Picasa

9 comments:

h. rae said...

That clover cake looks delicious! What a talented confectioner your daughter is becoming!

Cheesemakin' Mamma said...

That was the thing I learned by watching "Pantry Raid". I saw how damaging people's comments could be and how that could really make people "freeze" when it comes to cooking. I love that we are building our kids' confidence by letting them create in the kitchen. Good job, Stace! Funny that we posted this on the same day, LOL. Must be that twin thing, LOL :)

Ellen said...

The cakes look wonderful!
My girls like helping in the kitchen more & more..in fact..I have a post drafted from last night about it..:)

Camille said...

Lovely post Stacie! Sweet creations your children have been making! You are doing a great job! Hang in there...I know what you mean about stressing less about the mess! LOL! :)

Your Lily is getting soooo big! She is such a cutie pie. :)

Many blessings,
Camille

Lady Rose said...

Your daughter's cake decorating skills are great! She looks like she is concentrating very hard in the pictures to make her cakes look "just right."

I'm currently not a mother, but when I worked with children, I found that it was difficult for me too - to let them create and "make messes." This is how children learn and grow. Sometimes, it's difficult for us adults to get this concept in our little minds. :)

Lastly, thank you for visiting my blog the other day. Just so you know, I'm "following" you now. :)

Blessings,

LR

RaD said...

Love Jackie's comment. I thought maybe the two of you had talked about what to post today. Turns out it was a "coincidence."

Jessica did a great job on those cakes!

Enjoy your dinner tonight!

Mich said...

The clover looked great.

You are an awesome mom, teaching and having fun with the kiddos in the kitchen.

Jill said...

just keep in mind...the bigger the mess...the more they learn! :-) It will all get washed up and be o.k.
Their cakes turned out wonderful! Great job girls!! :-)
I've never seen pantry raid? What channel and time is that on? We love cooking here!

blessings,
Jill

mommyx12 said...

I think the kids will remember well the times you had them in the kitchen with you. I know how those extra messes can defeat our desires to do that but it is so worth it. The cake and cupcakes look yummy.

Related Posts with Thumbnails