Friday, February 4, 2011

The Need to Rejoice

"Send forth your light and your truth, let them guide me; let them bring them to your holy mountain, to the place where you dwell. Then will I go to the alter of God, to God my joy and my delight" (Psalm 43:3-4)


I came across these thoughts in my Bible study "Living Beyond Yourself" and was struck anew at how much I have to rejoice about.

Beth Moore says, "Whether we ever have one external thing over which to rejoice, it is enough that we are born again! I believe the main reason we lack an awareness of joy in our salvation is because we are unaware or seldom reminded to what and from what we have been saved...We need to consistently focus on our great salvation so that our joy might be full....

Recognizing that salvation belongs to Christ helps to get us out of ourselves. It's not about us! Sometimes we get so wrapped up in ourselves that we become the center of  our own universe. Salvation is His. It's about Him. Following Christ breaks the stranglehold of self in our lives as He becomes the center of our universe. We decrease; He increases. Joy results!"

I LOVE THIS! Oh, I needed to hear that today! I needed to be reminded why I need to be rejoicing everyday.

Joy comes from God's Grace. I have been saved from hell and eternal punishment. My sins have been forgiven. I am going to heaven. I will not be judged, I have been redeemed by Christ's blood. I have been adopted by God into His family. I have been grafted into His chosen people, a holy nation, a royal priesthood. I am loved and I am saved!!! What greater joy can there be? Can't that truth alone be enough? Why do I always think my circumstances have to be perfect to find joy?

Why am I not more aware of this? Because I am thinking about ME!

 My needs.
 My wants.
 My hopes.
 My dreams.

Lord, thank you that I have much to rejoice over. Help me to stay focused on what is important. Help me CELEBRATE these truths daily.

5 comments:

Farmgirl Cyn said...

Hey Stacie! This post kind of goes hand in hand with Ann Voskamps book "One Thousand Gifts". Get it if you can....

Catherine said...

Great post, great thoughts on your part, and great question about why do we think the circumstances need to be perfect BEFORE we celebrate joy. We are such ninnies!

Jennifer said...

always enjoy your post

Jenn said...

Great post! I'm working on an article that tackles this very thing. We can so easily become entangled in "life" and forget that we have so much to rejoice about.

Grandma Becky said...

I love your thoughts. I have been reading from a daily devotional written by Oswald Chambers, "My Utmost for His Highest." It's the original version and he makes me think on his thoughts. Alot are like what you quoted from Beth Moore's book. It's not about us but Him. Amazing when we study!Blessings my friend!

Related Posts with Thumbnails