Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Lessons From a Mother on Her Sick Bed

Dear Mothers,


After having to be stuck in bed for a month after having foot surgery, I have come to realize several things:

1. I have learned to be dependent on others. Having never been in this situation (except for an occasional short illness or the end of a pregnancy), I had no idea what it was like to depend on my family and friends from everything to a cup of water, to cooking meals for a family of eight, to cleaning my house.

2. I've realized God is a God of provision in a fresh, new way. I was amazed that in my darkest hours as I was fighting depression from being isolated and laying in bed for so long, that He truly cared about the big and little things that I needed. If I was lonely, I would ask Him to bring me a friend. The next thing I knew He would send a friend to my bedside to encourage me. If I needed to someone to clean the house because I just couldn't stand it anymore, someone would come and do it without me even asking. Oh, what a blessing!

3. I learned that when I was in constant pain, I could get grumpy and demanding. The worst of my “flesh” was brought out to the surface. The good news was that I decided to allow God to do something about it. Through daily Bible study, prayer time and journalling, I worked through some major things in my past that were hindering my future. I recognized some strongholds that I had allowed to creep into my life. Mostly attitudes of bitterness, resentment and unforgiveness towards people who had hurt me. I even found myself calling one of these people and confessing the wrongs that I had committed in the relationship. Oh, it was painful heart surgery, but I could feel Him mending me back together. Each wound was stitched by God's loving, healing hand. II felt like He took His spiritual scouring pad and gave me a thorough scrubbing that at times left me bloody and raw. But I realized without it, I would never be able to fully heal the way God wanted me to. I would also never be able to forgive and love the way God forgives and loves me. Oh, His abundant Grace!

4. I learned that God CAN heal. About five weeks after my surgery the doctor told me I had to wear my walking boot (I had avoided it because of the nerve pain and swelling that I was experiencing and I couldn't sleep with it on.) This particular night I prayed that God would heal those painful nerve endings and decrease the swelling so that I could stand to be in the boot all night long. As I was praying, I felt a warm, tingling sensation move from my knee and all the way down to my toes. I went to sleep and didn't wake up till 6:30 a.m. Ever since that night I have been able to endure the boot. He is “Jehovah Rapha”, the God Who Heals!

5. He prepares us in ways we can't fathom. Even though I thought I understood why I had lost my voice for most of last year due to nodules on my vocal cords, I really had no idea what He was preparing me for. Had He not helped me to get the volume of my voice under control, I would have been yelling at my kids way more. In this situation, all I had was my voice! I'm so thankful that God prepared me ahead of time for what was yet to come.

Dear ones, God can be trusted! He has our best interest in mind. He wants us to press into Him with all that we have when we are going through our trials and tribulations.

Have faith when you are hurting and in pain. God does not waste pain. He uses it for His eternal purposes and for His ultimate glory.

From Mom to Another,

13 comments:

candy said...

Yes HE has taught you a lot of wonderful healing and other BLESSINGS. BUT not only you but your family and friends as well and for that I am grateful to you Stacie my friend for enduring all your pain so that we all could receive our learning blessing too. Our Lord loves us and He doesn't want any of us to suffer at all.When we focus on what we are learning and how much He has blessed us through "it" we don't even feel the suffering any more. That's Love.I love Him and I love you and am so happy you are doing better.

Grace said...

Wonderful post. :) I just learned a lot from this one post that I can carry into my future and keep in mind for when I'm married with a family and a house. I also learned how important it is to be a blessing and encouragement to others in times of need. This post really inspired me. :)

God bless!

-Grace

Stacie, A Firefighter's Wife said...

Both your comments were so sweet! Thank you!!!!!!!!

His bondservant said...

Stacie,
As one who has suffered from ongoing health issues...and still do...I can relate to everything you have said in your post. I am so thankful for a God who understands our deepest struggles.

Tracy said...

I'm so glad that you are feeling better and that your sugery has helped you. It sounds like the journey to wellness has provided you with some valuable spiritual growth and wisdom.
Take care,
Tracy

Mich said...

Nothing like the sick bed to put life in perspective. I found that out last summer when I had surgery.

Glad you are on the mend. Cute picture.

Wanting What I Have said...

What a sweet and precious, God glorifying post! I am so thankful for the many ways He has worked in your heart through this hardship. He never ceases to amaze me! Rejoicing with and for you!!!

Camille said...

Wonderful post my friend! How precious HE is!!

In His Love,
Camille

...they call me mommy... said...

Such a ENCOURAGING post, Stacie!!! Amen and Amen! God is so good! It is so wonderful to hear of God's faithfulness!! Thank you for sharing!!

Many blessings!
Amy

Cheesemakin' Mamma said...

God is so good! I knew you'd learn a ton and pass it on the the world. You're a perfect example of God teaching us when we are the most helpless. When we are weak, He is strong!

Grandma Becky said...

So glad that you are learning what God is teaching you. It's all about listening to Him call us through his word and life circumstances. I've been down a few times with abdominal surgeries, the first one being the worst since I was so sick. But God brought me through it with the help of my family and friends. Hang in there, my dear and you'll be over all this soon and it will just be a memory! Hugs!

Samual said...

Its a great posting.The virtues that are being taught in free bible lessons in Biblical passages are essentially taught properly to kids in exciting ways.

Sarah said...

Wow...what powerful lessons Stacie! This was a wonderful post. I am so glad that you were able to see our Lord working in your life, through all the hardship and pain you were enduring.

What a sweet photograph of you, Jacob and Lily!

Praise God!

Related Posts with Thumbnails