Sunday, December 19, 2010

Foot Surgery Pics -What I had done


Warning: Graphic
I've been struggling with my bunion for as long as I can remember. When I started running this past year, it all seemed to come to a head when I couldn't find any shoes that didn't absolutely kill my feet. Then I had more and more problems with finding comfortable flat shoes. I felt the Lord prompting me to see a doc about it. They confirmed that I qualified for surgery. Even though this is the worst possible time in my life to have surgery, being at 100% on our insurance, I made up my mind to do it before the first of the year. If you are squeamish, I am warning you the next few pictures are pretty graphic. But I am so excited to tell you that the surgery is probably a success.






There were two incisions. One in between my toes to correct to break the bone and remove scar tissue so that my big toe will be straight instead of sloping to the right. The second incision was to remove the excess bone that was sticking out. The pin the the toe is about 4 inches long and goes straight into my foot and holds it all together.
This is the day after my surgery. The boot has been a problem because of swelling. My big toe is extremely sensitive and can't stand any pressure. I have to wear the boot though or my Achilles tendon might shorten during the six to eight week recovery. The pin absolutely grosses me out. I can hardly stand to look at it and break out in a cold sweat when I think of them removing that with me being awake and no pain killers. God alone is going to get me through that one. I've never had stitches before and he got me through the removal OK. It stung, but glad that one more step is done.
This picture shows the difference in the shape of my foot. My toes are no longer listing to the right and my foot is narrower. I'm praying that when all is said and done all of this pain and hassle of not being on my feet will be worth it. I look forward to walking and even running again.

My church family has been such a big help with meals. I am so thankful! My husband has had to step out of his comfort zone and do many tasks that he has never had to do. My sweet sister came and spent a week with me. She did an outstanding job and I can't tell you how much it meant for me to have her here keeping me company as I was feeling so lonely and blue. My friend, Margaret has been a huge help and even gave Jackie a break so that she could have a nap. She also took me to my doc appointment on Friday. So thankful again for all the friends and family that are willing to help me. Grandparents are scheduled to help out a lot in the next two weeks. It will be nice to have company, since I can't get out.

Even though the surgery and recovery time was a lot harder that I expected, I know God is teaching me things and I will grow because of it. I am trying to have a positive attitude and have only had a few "emotional" moments (mostly when I feel helpless and frustrated as I rely on others to meet my needs).

Thank you for all your prayers. I can't tell you how much it means to me to have all of you praying and lifting our family up in this difficult time. My sister would print out the comments for me so I could read them and they encouraged my heart so much. Thank you so much! Love to all and have a Merry Christmas.

(I need to go put my foot up, I've been really naughty to do this. I just had to let you know how I was doing. You all have been so wonderful!) Forgive me for not proofing. I need to get off of here! LOL!
Posted by Picasa

27 comments:

Amy said...

I am so glad that you are healing well. Lots of prayers on your speedy recovery.

Have a wonderful day.

Leslie said...

I'm so happy to hear that things are improving. I pray that God would continue to bless you and strengthen you during this time of healing.

wyatt said...

it looks awful im sorry that it hurts by the way merry christmas love wyatt

Grandma Becky said...

I'm glad the worst is over, thanks for sharing the icky photos but it will all get better. Hugs! Merry Christmas and take it easy!

candy said...

I so missed coming over to see your kids,you and decorations.I am sure I will make it over soon. I am sorry that you had to go through this but i also LOVE how our Lord does such an loving job of getting us through things for whatever reason. I hope that makes sense. See you soon my dear. I know the kids had fun with Papa and Nana Dianna.

Cheesemakin' Mamma said...

Love you, Stace. Just wish I could have done more! I certainly have a new respect for all you do on an everyday basis. Hang in there. Call me anytime you get bored. I'm not homeschooling this week, so shouldn't be a problem. Love you!

Wanting What I Have said...

OH Stacie!!! Oh...I kind of held my hand over my mouth as I looked at your pictures. I cannot imagine - but, oh, your foot looks so much better! I am still praying for you and will continue to! Hang in there! Wish I could come spend a few days and lend a helping hand! Love you, sweet friend!

nikki101076 said...

Ouch! My next door neighbor had pins put in her toes and a week or so later she came over and had my dad pull the pins out! It was so gross to watch him do it but she said she was in a lot of pain bc of them. Then when he took them out she said it felt so much better and it didn't mess anything up thank goodness!

Glad you are doing better and will do even better after all is healed!

Fire Wife Katie said...

Wishing you a speedy recovery! Those pictures look so painful - but hopefully soon it will all be worth it. :)

melaniek said...

You foot looks so great now, as in once recovery is done it won't cause you anymore pain! Sending prayers your way that you're healing great and will have a wonderful Christmas!

Stephanie said...

Truly hoping your surgery is a success - I have heard that it is a very painful surgery, as you've mentioned. I have pretty yucky bunions and in college they went through a shifting/growing phase - it was awful and painful! I am 35 (well, in January)and just now starting to have a bit of trouble with shoes. That said, my youngest son had to have hand surgery when he was 1 to correct a birth defect and. He also had a pin for a few weeks and he had it removed outpatient, with no pain killers, as well. Hopefully it makes you feel better to know, he didn't even flinch. I guess the way it heals helps it to just pull right out and I hope that is the case for you! Wishing you a good Christmas, Stacie!

Rachel and Family said...

Ooooo... Stacie.

The boys thoroughly enjoyed looking at that.

When this is all said and done, you need to treat yourself to a pedicure and peep-toe shoes :)

xoxo

Jill said...

I am keeping you in my prayers for a speedy recovery! Have a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year! Many Blessings to you.

Jill

RaD said...

Can I just say ewwww.... and OW! and Wow! I can't believe you did that but if you were in that much pain I don't blame you. Praying for a speedy recovery.

Jennifer said...

looks painful but I'm sure it will be worth it...my Mom has the same thing going on right now....blessings on your week.

...they call me mommy... said...

Praying for you, Stacie!!! Thanks for the update! Glad things are looking so well! Praise God for your family & friends stepping in to help so much! What a blessing.

Hope you guys have a GREAT Christmas! :)

Katrina @ mommyninetimes.blogspot.com said...

Ouch! That looks painful. My mother had a similar surgery for her bunions and all went well for her. Looks like you are healing up and will soon be off and running, pain free!

Merry Christmas!

Marie said...

I'm glad the surgery went well! You have been strong and God is always by your side and your wonderful family.
wishing you a fast recovery and Merry Christmas!

Marie

Natalie said...

WOW ! I'll be praying your recovery goes well. Glad there was something they could do : )

Val - Firefighter Wife said...

You sound so positive about it all. I have to say it looks great even through the bandage. I've had two very close people in my life get this surgery and know that it's painful. Even worse was trying to keep my aunt from getting up and doing stuff once she was feeling slightly better. She's horrible patient. lol

I'm glad you leaned on your extended family.

Quick healing wishes your way! And Merry Christmas

Chris in FL--Joyful Mother said...

Wow oh wow!! I haven't stopped by so this is news to me. Good thing the surgery was a success and I guess you will know the whole result in a few weeks.

I'm sure it gets frustrating to depend on others to serve you and help you. I would be the same. Take it easy though and don't worry it will soon be all better and back on your feet once again.

I pray for much grace for your wonderful husband who is doing his job and yours wow....what a wonderful husband you have. Praise god for him.

Also I pray that the removal of the spike will be bareable. I can't believe you can't have pain killers. Take some tylenol or something before you go in...maybe that will ease the pain a bit.

Blessings to you Stacie and sending love your way for this next new year.

Chris xoxo

Corina said...

Love you, Stacie! This will be over before you know it...it seems like an eternity-I know. But this life on earth is a fraction of a millesecond compared to eternity we will spend with our glorious and loving father with whom we spend praising without pain or suffering. Something good ALWAYS comes out of something bad, no matter how dark, dismal, or depressing it may seem. Because myself and everyone else I know must realize that through our pain and suffering, trials and tribulations, we grow in endurance and experience, perseverance and knowledge. That's how God gives us a reason to turn to him. Hey, if we were all perfect, we wouldn't need a God, would we?

Stacie, A Firefighter's Wife said...

Corina, you are so right! It always helps to put "eternity" into perspective! We are here for such a short time. We are not here for ourselves but to glorify God!

Love you too! And I'm so glad you figured out how to comment!

I have been praying for you!

Anonymous said...

Your feet are so pretty.. they were beautiful with the bunion too!
Hope all is well with your feet.
Chris

Alba Silva said...

hello, I am so grateful to have found this blog. I had bunion removal today and I am very scared because I was supposed to have "tiny little screws" put in but instead I have a long nail or screw looking thing sticking out of my big toe similar to yours. My doc said because I am older now (48) my bones are soft and the small screws did not take so he used this big one instead. I have searched and searched for other people with similar situations and only found you. I am having terrible thoughts such as (doc messed up my foot) :o Do you know anything about protruding screws like mine? Thank you!!

Stacie, A Firefighter's Wife said...

First of all it isn't a screw it is a pin. It is probably about 5 to six inches long. After six weeks, they should remove it. If they do it fast it stings and aches for awhile because the blood is filling into the hole.

You are in for a really hard road. My bunion removal was a complete failure. They didn't go high enough and do something to the upper bones in my foot, so the bunion grew back and my big toe went right back to where it was before the surgery. The only thing I have to show for it now is arthritis and stiffness in my big toe. It aches now and I feel like I am worse off before I had the surgery. I pray yours goes better for you. The nerve pain was incredible for me on the bottom of my foot. Thanks for commenting. I wish I had more encouraging news. I woke up to that thing in my foot and I panicked. I had no idea how awful that would look and I worried constantly about bumping it. Always wear your boot but keep it loose because of the swelling. The boot will put a cocoon around it so you won't bump it as much.

Anwar Fazil said...

Online Marketing is the Best way to increase your income and Get online visitors or Customer on your company. Many Marketing Way like Facebook Marketing, Website Marketing, SMS Marketing, Products Marketing and Social Media Marketing such as Facebook Likes, Twitter Follow, Youtube Views and Much More International Advertising Systems, Just Visit
HotCurrentAffairs.com

Related Posts with Thumbnails