Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Our Version of Stone Soup

I had heard of stone soup before, but never actually read the book. I found it at the library recently and thought it would be fun to try it. After reading the story, they were totally on board! We first went out and found three round stones from the driveway and washed them off. Jessica read the book over again and we kept on adding ingredients. It ended up being delicious!

Here is our version:

Three stones
Fill large pot with water
Add salt and pepper
Add diced potatoes
cut up beef or ground beef
Garlic
onions
carrots
cabbage
beef bouillon
Jess loves bay leaves, so we added those too.
Let it simmer until it is done.
At this point everything was going good, until Jacob my three year old, wanted to stir the pot. I was behind him and was helping him. Jess decided she wanted to "smell" it and grabbed the ladle. What does a three year old do? He pulls away. Guess what happened then? Yep, a ladle of hot, boiling soup went all over his bare tummy. I immediately tried him down with cold water and put silvadine cream on it. He screamed for a long time. Was my paramedic there? Ha, ha! Riiiiight... Jacob ended up being OK. He still has a mark on his tummy.
Here is the bowls of soup. The one on the right has the stone in it. The kids thought ol' Mom was pretty cool this night! They also never once complained about all those veggies in it! They just kept raving about how good it was.
Posted by Picasa

13 comments:

Hydrant girl said...

What a cute idea!

Stephanie said...

Sorry your son was burnt - but glad to know he was OK. The soup looks delicious - maybe I will try it, sometime!

Farmgirl Cyn said...

Seriously...what better way to get kids involved with the everyday stuff! And kids helping in the kitchen is an awesome way to get them to try new things! Love the Stone Soup recipe....

Amy said...

I am so glad that your boy is ok.

I withdrew my daughter from school. Too much going on and not enough being done about it. So I am joining the ranks of homeschooling. Please pray for me. That was the last thing that I prayed last night was for God to give me an answer on what to do. I withdrew her today. I am calm and peaceful about the decision. Your blog has helped me as I really have been thinking about this since we moved to Texas.

Thanks for the inspiration.

Trisha said...

Every time I read this book, Stacie, I intend to make the soup. Good for you for actually doing it!

So, so sorry about the burn. Oh, I know he must have been hurting. What a brave little man!

Thanks for the push to make this soup with my littles this weekend!

Wanting What I Have said...

Ol' Mom- You are SOOOO cool!!! What a wonderful idea. I'm filing this one away for future use!

Grandma Becky said...

I've always enjoyed the stone soup story. Thanks for sharing. Glad your son is ok and you fixed it, it's a mom thing! And do you know how you eat an elephant? One bite at a time! Ha!

...they call me mommy... said...

Great idea!! Glad your ds is ok!! I say that all the time about "Where's my wonderful EMT hero?" :D

Blessings, Stacie!

OurLilFullFam said...

What a great idea!

I am so sorry Jacob got hurt. That sounds like our house!

But, I am glad he is doing better and it wasn't worse!

Stephanie

Catherine said...

Poor Little JakersMan! I'm so glad they liked the soup, though!!

RaD said...

Those types of burns are the worst. At least you knew what to do right away, poor guy.

What a great way to get your kiddos to eat their veggies!

Camille said...

What a fun Mom you are! Sounds like "Stone Soup" is a hit around there! Shhhh about all the goodness! LOL! :)

Have a wonderful day!!

Blessings,
Camille

Shelly Mac said...

I love the story of stone soup. It sounds like your children really enjoyed it too. It's a great way to get them involved in cooking while teaching them a great story.

I'm glad to hear that Jacob is OK.

Related Posts with Thumbnails