Friday, November 12, 2010

Hospitality-How Do I Get Started?-Pt. 4

So if you are a newbie at hospitality, you are probably wondering how to get started.

Nancy Leigh Demoss has some excellent advice in this area. She says  "First of all, let me suggest that you take time, if you've never done this, to dedicate your house to the Lord. Dedicate your house to the Lord and ask Him to make it a home that's used for Him.


The house is just going to be brick, stones, mortar, wood--until you put it into the Lord's hands and say, "Lord, would You transform this into something that will be an instrument of blessing and grace in the lives of other people."

My home is not my home. It doesn't belong to me. Ultimately, everything I have, including my house belongs to the Lord. It's His anyway, so when I dedicate it to Him, I'm just saying, "Lord, I'm consecrating to You what is already Yours."

Second, pray for opportunities to minister to people in your home. And pray for God to give you wisdom and direction about which opportunities He wants you to take. And then, plan on your calendar, a time to extend hospitality, maybe just one time for starters.

And get together, now don't do this without your husband's input and agreement because you don't want to pick a time that's going to be a pressure for him.

But say, as a family, "When would be a time we could open our home?" Maybe it's next Sunday or three Sundays from now if you feel like you need that much time to prepare. But after church, we'll have a family over for lunch or we'll have a single or a widow in our church to join us for lunch.

And, some of you may not feel the freedom to be real spontaneous about this just at first--and that's okay. You'll develop that as you do it.

But plan. Put it on the calendar. And then, as you do it once, put another time on the calendar. And say, it may be that you begin to put a regular time, maybe Saturday evenings become the time that you open your home to different families or one Saturday evening a month or one Sunday evening a month.

It is far better to have a little home, a simple meal, simple preparations but to really connect to the hearts of the people who are in your home.

So, don't compare with how someone else does it. We're at different seasons of life, and there are things that you can do if your children are grown that you can't do the same way if you have lots of little children.

And so the Scripture says, "Be kindly affectionate to one another with brotherly love, in honor giving preference to one another...Distributing to the needs of the saints, given to hospitality" (Rom. 12:10-13, NKJV).

What an opportunity hospitality provides for all of us, to express to our lonely, fearful, needy world the love, the heart of God Himself."

Amen?!?

(Please again note, that most of this is not my words. They were taken from a transcript from Nancy's "Revive Our Hearts Program and edited down to a more condensed version)

14 comments:

Kimberly said...

Hospitality begins in the heart! Keeping things simple is best too. When people visit they come to see us, not us running around like a "martha" fixing meals and such. Good series, Stacie!!

Moose Nugget said...

Great series! I've been reading some of your back posts and love this topic.
One thing I discovered with hospitality- if you ask God to create a spirit of openess and generousity, the opportunities to be hospitable really abound.
I used to dread a drop-in visitor or my husband having someone over to help with a project or task. Once I asked God for this new spirit of openess and generousity (as well as beginning to obey and be submissive!) I found it was no trouble to whip up an extra plate.
My life has been so blessed by inviting these people into our home to share meals or activities- I never would have talked to most of these people beyond a polite hello.
Now, knowing their favorite snacks, beverages, or meals- I always love suprising them by remembering they like tea or a certain side dish.
These people become "family".

Wanting What I Have said...

We have always said - even before we purchased our home - that we wanted it to be used by the Lord and a blessing to others. But, as I read your post I realized that I have never actually "given" our home to the Lord - consecrated to Him that which is already His. Wow. THank you for bringing to light this simple, yet profound insight. I really appreciate you!

Toyin O. said...

Amen, may God give us his heart in this area.

Trisha said...

Great encouragement, Stacie, to use our homes and all that He's given us for His glory!

Catherine said...

What a wonderful series you've encouraged us with, Stacie! Thank you. I always look forward to company for a meal. I LOVE it! We just don't do it often enough.

Catherine said...

So, how's this picture?

Stacie, A Firefighter's Wife said...

Love it!

...they call me mommy... said...

We used to have Crock Pot Sunday at our home. This gave dh the freedom to invite whomever that day and me to feel like I had the house picked up a little and enough food! It worked great! Thanks for the push!

Mich said...

This is not my spiritual gift, I have to work at it.

thanks for the advice and encouragement.

Happy weekend.

David and Margaret said...

Great reminder of what God calls us to do. There is such a good wholesome feeling as you say farewell to a family or group of people after you have had a nice night of laughter and stories and you know that God was pleased. Our goal this winter is to invite a new family or families each month. Last month went great but they stayed until almost 11:00 p.m. A bit too late for us. I am not sure how to deal with that but we might just say we have to put the kids down. Haven't worked through that. We might just have to put a clock in the living room since they just didn't know what time it was. The blessing was they weren't watching it. Good luck in your pursuit of who you will seek out. Thanks Stacie.

Toyin O. said...

I hope you are having a good day;just wanted to thank you for your visit and gracious comment. Have a blessed week:)

candy said...

Stacie,I have internet again!!!!YAY!!!
Please pray for Wyatt his pet chicken died today.he loves his chickens but that one was his buddie.
I love this blog. you know we have had a few people live with us at times. It has been stressful for me at times. and I realize now I was looking at it,not with a heart like GOD.I will read this again and pray for forgiveness,because you know our house is big now and I asked the Lord to use us in any way He wants. I should of known this is our way. Change of attitude for me!!!!

Cheesemakin' Mamma said...

Great stuff, Stace! Thanks to your inspiration, we've got a family coming over next weekend whom we haven't seen in a year.

Related Posts with Thumbnails