Friday, October 29, 2010

Moral Training Starts With You!

"The starting point of moral training is with the parents. Before you dilegently teach your children, Moses said, "These words shall be in your hearts." If the principles of moral conduct are not resident in your own heart, you cannot pass them on to your children. It's a mistake to think moral training is the duty of the Sunday school, day school, (youth pastor) or Christian school teacher. It is not! By intent or neglect, parents are the greatest moral influence on their children. Not only do parents teach principles of moral conduct, but they validate them in the context of daily living.

Moral training is to take place during the normal activities of the day. 'You...shall talk of them when you sit in your house, when you walk by the way, when you lie down, and when you rise.' by implication, moral truth is best communicated in periods of non-conflict. That doesn't mean we will not teach at times of correction, but it does mean a healthy dose of moral enlightenment should take place throughout the day and in moments of non-conflict when the child is not in a position to have to defend his or her actions.

The charge to parents from this passage is to know the God of moral truth, live His moral truth, and, from that experience, teach your children that truth."

-Ezzo taken from "Growing Kids God's Way-Along the Virtuous Way"

God spoke this into my heart when I gave birth to my first son, Joshua. I still remember Him saying, "Do you want to do this your way, or my way?" I remember telling Him, "I've made a mess of things doing it my way. I want to do it your way."

I'm so thankful that I surrendered my life, and my parenting to Him that day. I can't imagine what kind of mother I would have been if I had not. Selfish, impulsive, sinful, stressed out, joyless.

Praise God for His mercy and pursuit of me! Now my goal is to be a godly example to my children. To pursue holy living and to pass that on to this generation and the next and God-Willing the next after that. I can only do that, "Through Him that gives me strength".

3 comments:

His bondservant said...

Stacie,

This is such a needed post. The Lord impressed upon our hearts this while we were first starting out in parenting as well. He continues to reveal to us more and more of the great privilege of being parents and what a responsibility that truly is. Discipling our children is one of our greatest blessings!

Amy said...

Thank you for this post. I know that I am so much more thoughtful about what I do now that I have Bri. And even more so since I gave my life to God.

God bless and have a wonderful weekend.

Lady Kara said...

Very valid and timely post. Well written! I'm glad I found your blog. I will be following!

God bless!

Related Posts with Thumbnails