Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Encouragement For The Parent of a Strong-Willed Child

When I talk with mothers, I have found that most of us think we have a strong-willed child. When there is a group of siblings, the strongest, loudest, most outspoken and defiant child usually stands out. That is their strong-willed one! Now, I know there are variations of "strong-willed" children. There are degrees if we actually start comparing each other. I usually hear, "Oh, mine is worse than that" and so on, but the reality is, sometimes we just don't know what to do with  him or her and it really doesn't matter who has it worse!

Sometimes having a strong-willed child just feels hopeless, like you are never getting anywhere with them.

My sister, Jackie has two little redheads, Josiah and Hailey. Josiah seems to be the "strong-willed" child of the two. He has struggled with obedience for a long time. My sister has been a shining example of consistency. She just had a "Breakthrough" the other day that I would love for you to read about on her BLOG (click on this link). This story brought tears to my eyes, and joy and hope to my soul for my own strong-willed child. God is bigger and loves our children more than we ever could.

I know she would appreciate any feedback you can give her, so please take the time to comment.

Be encouraged mothers! We are not parenting alone. We are in partnership with a Heavenly Father, a perfect Father! Be blessed today...

13 comments:

Kimberly said...

Hint: Not all strong willed children are loud! Mine, will silently draw their lines in the sand. When the children were little and would have uncontrolled moments, we would use the sit quietly and firmly hold them method- it works amazingly well. I'll have to go read Jackie's post.

Amy said...

My only daughter is strong willed. I pray daily for her and my own patience.

Brought home an excellent report card. She is so quick and bright.

God never gives you more than you can handle. Handle with prayer that is.

Stephanie said...

I have 6 kids and everytime I think I had a stong willed child, the next comes along and steps it up a bit!! :D I am thankful for a Heavenly Father to guide me as I guide them ... or else I would surely be lost finding my own way!! That said, I am also so thankful for bloggy friends like you to remind me of that! Thanks!

kathy said...

Yes- I sure do have one of those! I'm off to check out Jackies blog now :)

Catherine said...

Beth Moore tells the story of her stong-willed child coming to the top of the stairs one morning and looking down, with hands on her hips asking Beth, "Are you gonna boss me again today?!" Beth said, "I sure am, because I'm the mother!" I always get a kick out of that.

RaD said...

Yep, I could definitely say I have a strong willed child too! One is organized, compliant (for the most part) and genuinely wants to do what's right (most of the time :). Then the other one... well that one, stomps if she's asked to do something she does not want to do, sulks for reasons I can never understand, and I could go on and on. But I have learned so much parenting her, not only about her but also about myself. And I've heard it through the grapevine (aka mom and dad) that she takes after her mother!

I already left a comment on Jackie's blog. That is a real celebration moment!

Cheesemakin' Mamma said...

Thanks for linking to my blog, Stace! I truly hope God can use it to encourage those of us who have strong-willed children. There is hope! When I get frustrated, I'm going to try to remember to look at that post and remember that God is working!

Love you, Sis! I've learned so much from YOUR example through the years.

Cheesemakin' Mamma said...

Have I told you lately, just how much I love you, Sis?

I am blessed! said...

I love what Dobson says about strong-willed children. If you can win their hearts, they will stand for what's right as teens. That strong will can be an asset! And yes, I think I have a few of them, like numbers 2-5! At least I have a couple of laid back kids as book ends.

Celee

Toyin O. said...

So true, it always good for parents to know that God loves their children even more than they do and HE is in absolute control.

http://youcanfacetodaybecausehelives.blogspot.com

Nama said...

Thank you for sharing this, Stacie. Your sister has a beautiful heart and I fully enjoyed what she shared. I have seven strong willed kids & I know from experience (since two are raised) that descipling along with discipline is so important. If you have a relationship and you listen and you are consistant they feel loved &want to love you in return.....but most importantly since we model our love for Christ, they want to follow HIM! Your sister is doing a beautiful job of modeling that exact principle! I love Growing Kids God's Way. This was such a refreshing post. blessings to you for sharing it and encouraging her to blog about it! (((Hugs)))

Lois said...

I came to your blog from another of my regular blogs! See, I recognized your moniker when I read an article you wrote in An Encouraging Word. I said, "Oh, I recognize that woman! She leaves comments on His Bondservant's site." It's a blessing to me how the Lord uses technology to encourage us moms in our walk with Him, homemaking, homeschooling, and general Proverbs 31 principles.


Parenting is a hard task, not for the faint of heart, and for Christians it's even tougher, because we're fighting the world too. Let's pray for our children and for each other. This post on the strong-willed child was written for me! Thanks. I will enjoy browsing your blog. Nice to meet you here.

Stacie, A Firefighter's Wife said...

Lois, it is nice to meet you! I hope you come visit often!

Related Posts with Thumbnails