Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Are You Turning Your Family Towards God?

I came across this quote from Brooke Wayne in "An Encouraging Word" magazine.

"A person can 'do' all the right things in life, and yet have nothing eternal to show for it because their hearts were not in service to the Lord during the 'doing.' Many mothers have cooked scrumptions meals, kept immaculate homes, and taught their children three grade levels above average, yet done so in a self-serving way that turns their families away from the Lord."

Ouch! I asked myself,"Why am I doing all of this?" Is it in a self-serving way? Oh, I hope not!

It is good to examine ourselves before the Lord. We need to question ourselves about our motives.

Are we doing all this to look good? To look like the perfect mother?

Or are we doing this because we truly want God's best for the family He has gifted you with?

Is homeschooling something He has laid on your heart or is it something you are doing because everyone around you is doing it?

Even worse, are just mad at their last teacher? Anger will not get you through the tough days, so before you yank them out of school, make sure you are in God's timing and have full-support from your husband. I have heard nightmarish tales of people who homeschooled on knee-jerk reactions. Prayer is the key!

Are we more stressed out about keeping our houses looking like a magazine cover than we are about turning our children's hearts towards Jesus and discipling them?

I want to turn my family toward the Lord! I want to model contentment, love, joy and peace to them so that when they go out into the world, they will KNOW the difference.

Mothers, "Choose this day whom you will serve"...

11 comments:

Wanting What I Have said...

This post penetrated my heart - choose this day whom you will serve - ouch. Thank you for sharing! What a blessing to be pointed to Jesus early on in the day!

Catherine said...

I think I'll take that quote, which I've always loved, and make it our class motto. I'm SO blessed to be homeschooling other peoples' children...11 of them!! God certainly keeps me humble in it too.

Camille said...

I so appreciate you Stacie! Thank you for pointing us to the LORD...HE alone is worthy! This makes me think of the shorter chatechism question one..."Q ~ What is the chief end of man? A ~ To glorify God and enjoy Him forever." Sums it all up very nicely, doesn't it? How often I fall VERY short!! Oh how I need HIM!!

Love,
Camille

Jill said...

Thank you for this post. i have been doing a lot of praying about home school lately. It's definitely in my heart.
Blessings,
Jill

JuRita said...

Thank you.. I am definitely sharing this post!! And whatever you do, whether by speech or action, do everything in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him... Col 3
May He be glorified!

RaD said...

Oh, what a good reminder, thanks!

His bondservant said...

I think we all have fallen into this at one time or another Stacie...at least I can speak for myself that I sure have. It is so easy to go through the motions so that we look a certain way "outwardly" rather than really having that close relationship with the Lord that we should. And we don't have to say a word to those that we live with...it is evident whether we are really being doers of the word.

Blessings,
jackie

Amydeanne said...

Amen! I love this post! thanks for sharing it!

Cheesemakin' Mamma said...

Great post, Stacie and a timely reminder for me as you well know. Beautiful pic, too!

Sarah said...

Oooh this post was a good'un Stacie! This is so true of most of us at times, I dare say! Thank you for this simple but powerful reminder! Brilliant!

Trisha said...

Yes! It's not just about the "not doing." It's about "doing." When I'm serving my family, homeschooling,etc. joy to the Lord should be my strength and should be what I communicate to my children. What a privilege this Mommy Life is. Great reminder that all we do must flow from a heart transformed by the love of Christ.

Related Posts with Thumbnails