Thursday, September 9, 2010

My Musings

Life has been good around here despite some real challenges. I still don't have much of a voice. Although I am not trying to do a complete voice rest, I am still not yelling, reading out loud, lecturing and talking on the phone much. I have prayed that God would not heal me of these nodules until He has truly used them to break me of some very bad habits. I've never prayed anything like that in my life. Usually, I just want anything that makes my life uncomfortable to just go away! I don't want to relearn this lesson. Discipline is not pleasant at the time, but it is used to refine me in ways that only God could do. I continue to be thankful for the affliction. It is a choice, though. Sometimes I fail when I get frustrated, but I remind myself that I have gone over three weeks without yelling at my children. It's worth it!

Steve had another arthritic episode before his scheduled infusion this week. Despite the severe pain he was in, we chose to praise God that it was only one week instead of two weeks of pain. He had lost about 10 more lbs and we saw that it made a difference. God is using this affliction to keep him going on the weight loss. He only had to miss two shifts this time, instead of three. Also, he was able to run the Hood to Coast relay race (largest relay race in the world) just a few days before the arthritis appeared again. He had trained for a year and worked very hard for it. God rewarded him and let him run!

I am still taking a break on the three R's of homeschooling. We are instead focusing on our upcoming Revolutionary War birthday party for the two older boys and their cousin, Josiah. We have made flags, colored pictures and decorated the entire house with battle scenes and recruit posters. The outside of the house has turned into a battle ground with impromptu cannons and camps and such! I am planning on giving a tea complete with scones and cucumber sandwiches with savory meats. We will make the scones into flags, using the whipped cream and then blueberries and raspberries for the colors. Costumes are getting washed and weaponry is getting ready! I went to the library and got about 5 more books on the Revolution that they can study. It's been a great unit study and a nice break from the regular homeschooling routine.

My garden is producing wonderfully this year! I'm so thankful. I have been able to put up lots of beans this year and give some away.

I've taken up running! Yes, you read that right, running! My hubby convinced me that I should start running. In two weeks, having never done anything cardio, I am up to running two miles. It feels good and so far my hips are agreeing with it. My lungs, however, are a different story! I feel like I am trying to breathe underwater. They are in terrible shape. I can't wait till that improves. It feels so good to run. When I run, it is just God, the pavement, and my worship music. I'm not worried about anything expect finishing the run. It is good to challenge myself. Steve wants me to train for a relay race from Spokane, Washington to Sandpoint, Idaho. At first I said no way, but I do want to challenge myself. That would be an impossible goal, but nothing is impossible with God. So I am praying about it. If it is His Will, it will happen.

Just wanted to give you a little update on what is going on. Thank you for all who have prayed for Steve and I's health. I guess we are getting old! LOL!

15 comments:

Sarah said...

What a humble yet gracious post Stacie! I am so glad that you are trying to see the good in all of your challenging obstacles at present.

Keep on trusting in the Lords direction and I'm sure you will be rewarded!

Hope you and your family have a wonderful weekend!

Angelo said...

"Meu jardim está produzindo maravilhosamente este ano! Eu sou tão grato. Fui capaz de colocar lotes de feijão este ano e dar alguma distância"

Seu blog é lindo, autêntico e filosófico.

Ps.: Ah sim, escrevo em português. Sorry!

Kimberly said...

The beauty of homeschooling is the flexibility. Sometimes a period of unschooling is a great thing and I've found that much learning still goes on...One thing is that your children are learning from your example of leaning on the Lord.

We just got a copy of a book that would work well with your Revolutionary themed party... It's called "Letters for Freedom: The American Revolution" isbn# is 978-1-58476-612-4 .

Sending up some healing prayers for you and Steve.

Jill said...

Your plans for the revolution sound wonderful. I'd love to see pics of it! Keeping Steve in my prayers. Wishing you all the best!
Blessings,
Jill

Wanting What I Have said...

You are SO COOL! Love the birthday party idea! So thankful Steve got to run! And I am SO PROUD of you for running! My goodness! What is there you can't do? God has equipped you well! Please keep us posted. I am working out on our elliptical machine and knowing others are exercising, too, encourages me!

You go girl!

American Home said...

What a wonderful post. Very precious words.
God bless you my friend.
Donna

OurLilFullFam said...

Stacie,

I hope you feel better soon, physically and spiritually! What a powerful prayer you are praying!

That is great about your hips, ha ha on the lungs - it feels like your 10 months preganant doesn't it? That is what my lungs feel like when I run. But, good for you for doing it.

I hope Steve feels better soon.

Your homeschooling sounds great - the kids learn way more that way anyway! Hands on, interesting things always sink in better anyway!

Stephanie

Catherine said...

I'm shocked about your running...still. I recall your troubles with hips just walking when you carried your babes within. Prayers for you and Steve with health issues go up irregularly...I'm sorry; I wish I were more faithful toward you and your needs. I LOVE the war stuff you are doing. I don't consider it a break at all, just some way to bring history alive and make school fun. Good for you!

melaniek said...

I wish I could have learned about the Revolutionary war the way you're doing it! That sounds awesome. Congrats to Steve on his relay race and a 10lb loss!! I just love reading your posts, they make me stop and think about the things in life that I forget a lot.

Fire Wife Katie said...

You always have such a positive outlook on life!! :)

RaD said...

It's kinda crazy how the year sneak up on you like that isn't it? Congrats on being able to run! Remember, in through your nose, out through your mouth. Or at least that what I was taught in track :)

Marie said...

I hope you two will get better.. The tea party will do you good! You should have it in a garden-it's really better!

Camille said...

Dear Stacie ~ How wonderful that you are looking to the LORD throughout this journey HE has you on! Way to go on the running! One piece of advice...since you mentioned your hips...be sure to stretch them out...SOOOO important! Enjoy those peaceful times jogging...so refreshing. Your lungs will catch up. :)

Blessings,
Camille

Chris in FL--Joyful Mother said...

Just did a read through of all your post and stopped here. Time has been limited so not many visits to your place here in blogville...

I'll continue to pray for both of you of course and I know what you mean about challenges life brings at times. God for sure will use these things to stretch our faith, trust, and everything in between.

I've been jogging up to 2 miles daily but since the move I haven't done anything for two weeks. I felt it today. My lungs were so heavy. I felt like I had an elephant on my chest. It does feel good though to run, feel the breeze on my face, and sweat...

The Revolutionary party looked awesome. I am sure they all enjoyed it very much! Love the costumes.

Chris xoxo

Mrs. Lukie said...

I somehow lost my subscription to your blog, so I just caught up on the last weeks worth of entries ::sigh::

I'm so excited for you & your new hobby of running!

Praise God for allowing Steve to continue losing weight, and to be able to run in the Relay. Praying for him through this arthritis pain.

Related Posts with Thumbnails