Thursday, September 2, 2010

My Big Helpers

This year my garden produced quite a bit of beans. Instead of spending lots of time snapping the ends off by myself, I enlisted the help of my children. We got this done so fast! They were not thrilled. It's kind of a boring job, but oh well!
This has also been a HUGE help to me lately! My sister gave me her food processor. I have been chopping, dicing, shredding and grating everything in sight! I don't know how I did it without this thing. It is a huge time-saver. This is my zucchini that I grated to put in soups and quick breads. The kids won't even know it's in there. I love hiding food within food!
I just had to throw in this silly picture of Andrew. This seems to be his new look!
I also caught this sweet picture of Lily falling asleep with Jessica. Doesn't she look peaceful?

Don't be afraid to ask your kids to help. If they start to whine, sometimes I will excuse the other children and make them do it by themselves. They are learning fast that whining about it doesn't pay!
Posted by Picasa

12 comments:

Jill said...

This brings back memories of my childhood when my Mom and I would be sitting at the table together snapping the ends off the beans for canning etc. I agree it's good for the children to help out. Pictures are adorable!
Have a great night.
Blessings,
Jill

RaD said...

I completely agree with your "no whining" strategy and execute it myself from time to time :)

Wanting What I Have said...

Love, love, love it!!! From making them help to Andrew's silly face to Lilly asleep with big sister! PRECIOUSNESS!!! And I am so happy for you that you have a food processor. I know that's a HUGE time savor!

Catherine said...

I've got a great recipe for Thai Coconut Zucchini Curry SouP! I love making spaghetti sauce with zucchini in it too.

OurLilFullFam said...

I love the picture of your girls together! So sweet!

I also like hiding veggies in things like that. Shredded zucchini, carrots, onions, mushrooms, celery, peppers, etc in meat dishes like meatballs, spagetti sauce, meatloaf, shredded chicken ( i cook the shredded veggies with the chicken)

There is a book somewhere that tells how to hide what in each dish like macaroni and cheese, etc. I am going to find it now!

Stephanie

Mich said...

Cute pictures.

My mother-in-law had a bunch of beans this year, but she wanted to do all the snapping herself. She is picky on how it is done. :)

I love how they all helped.

Jennifer said...

Stacie, yes I love having a girl. I'm glad you commented because somehow I had deleted you from who I was following so I've been out of the loop on you guys. Glad to have you back on my dashboard!!!!

Jenn said...

I know all about the snapping beans! :) My kids find this a rather boring job, too! I really like your solution to whining. I'm gonna use this one on the next kid that tries to lay it on me! :)

Muthering Heights said...

It sounds like a good way to get everyone to spend a bit of time together! :)

Tina said...

I love your updates! (Love the encouragement to persevere even in the midst of whines from the natives.) :)
In His love,
Tina

Kimberly said...

In reagard to the previous post, how cool for your Marcus to be recognized by an author!! Love the pics! Jessica's look says something, like "Oh great, I'm not moving for a while now"- I'm lucky that the children like to snap beans and shell peas. Oh, yes, whiners are treated "special" here and get to do the job themselves! Good job on that Stacie!

Jasmine said...

Stacie, so wonderful to have the children helping. They are so beautiful.

God bless you.

Related Posts with Thumbnails