Saturday, August 7, 2010

The "Greenhouse Effect"

I can't believe what good stuff this book, "One Million Arrows" by Julie Ferwerda, has in it. I am being greatly challenged. Of course when I'm having a "moment" I want to share it with you! Hope you don't mind!

Here is the latest "Ah ha Moment" for me...

"Go for the 'greenhouse effect': A lot of parents, especially homeschooling parents, are criticized for being overprotective. But Greg and Sona Harris describe parenting in terms of a greenhouse.

'When you want to have a strong crop in the future, you often have to start plants in a green house, allowing them to get a good root system established. Ultimately, your goal is to transplant them to the field where they'll bear their fruit. But as they grow, that transition is a process. As they mature, you move them to a cold frame where they harden up and learn to handle the changing temperatures. They're no longer getting all the nurturing they were in the greenhouse, but neither are they exposed to the full force of the harsh winds and the elements.

Young people, especially young adults, have more energy than they know what to do with. They're no longer children, and yet they don't have the responsibilities of family, and so it's important at that point that your household have a sense of vision and adventure in doing hard things for the glory of God. You don't want to control what they're doing, but you do want to influence what they're doing. You keep the communication loop small and frequent so that they have someone to talk to about what they're dealing with, providing counsel and encouragement, and maybe warnings if something's coming up that looks like it could be hazardous."

I am now transitioning into this stage with my oldest, Josh. He has so much energy! He gets bored easily and I don't want to give him "mental junkfood" all of the time. I'm trying to harness that boredom by giving him opportunities to serve his family, neighbors and our Church. If I'm going to teach him to be a Kingdom Laborer" then I must give him the vision of what that looks like.

11 comments:

Jill said...

Great post and wonderful concept! Thanks for sharing!

Blessings,
Jill

...they call me mommy... said...

Excellent! Thanks for sharing all these thoughts from this book...I would love to read it sometime!

Catherine said...

An interesting and appropriate analogy. Thanks for sharing this, and I have ordered the book to use with my students.

Cheesemakin' Mamma said...

That is awesome, Stace. So true!

Kimberly said...

My first thought was about our oldest, in her young 20's that is such a volitile time in a young persons life. Parents often think that their parenting is complete once the child is 18 or at college-that thought is so far from reality! Myabe she included this thought, I believe that parents let go of their children at too yound of ages. Many times I've seen that happen around the age when driving begins. They just aren't ready then though. So we have just one in the cold frame at the moment, the others are still in the greenhouse.

Kimberly said...

One more note, I just checked to see if our library system has the book, it DOES NOT- that is sad to me, such a great book! I'm going to see if they'll do an out of area request, I want to read this book!

Sarah Slaven said...

I love that idea. I have come across family who look on their children attending public school as the kids opportunity to do evangelism but the idea of pushing something so important on to those who aren't ready just sits wrong with me.

Grandma Becky said...

Gregg and Sono Harris are great role models. They were around when I was homeschooling years ago. They helped me out alot with their Godly ideas. I still have the big organizing notebook from years ago. Can't get rid of it! Thanks for sharing, Stacie~hugs and prayers and blessings your way.

Sarah said...

Oh Stacie I'm so thriled that you are getting so much from this book! - I hoped you would!

Since reading Raising Arrows I have used the 'Greenhouse Effect' as described by Greg and Sono Harris, for describing our chosen way of parenting and in particularly when describing the way we intend to parent our children as they enter their teen years. Often our extended families have asked us; are we not 'sheltering' our children from life and therefore making them more susceptable to hurt and deception? We always answer that we are 'protecting' NOT sheltering and by doing so we are protecting our children WHILST preparing them for adult life.

Great post Stacie!...I am also very much enjoying your devotionals that you have been re-posting!

God Bless

Tina said...

This is one of my favorite illustrations. (I heard it on Nancy Leigh DeMoss's Revive Our Hearts program. I didn't realize that the Harris's also taught it.) What a wonderful concept!
Thank you for sharing all these nuggets of wisdom you're gleaning. :)
In His love,
Tina

Momof5 said...

I have always felt compelled to write a book about my parenting days and raising my children, but I told my sister tonight, "I'm writing a book about raising adults!" I love this illustration. So timely that I found your blog tonight! God bless your beautiful family! Happy harvesting!

Related Posts with Thumbnails