Sunday, August 1, 2010

God Chose You!

Julie Ferwenda, author of the book, "Raising One Million Arrows" says this, "God chose you to be the parent of your children. He gave you the vote of confidence that there is no one better suited in this whole world for the job of raising your kids to love Him wholeheartedly and to keep the faith."

There is a troubling trend happening in the Church regarding youth pastors. These guys are getting BURNED OUT! There is too much pressure being put on our youth pastors to do something they were never called to do, which is raising someone else's kids.

We need to take back our children! We are accountable for our children's spiritual heritage. Sending them to youth group can be a wonderful spiritual tool, but it simply isn't enough. We must be discipling our children daily in our homes. We must spend TIME with them in order to do this!

Are you teaching your children to tithe? To pray? To serve? To love their enemies?

We must always be on the look out for the giftings God has given our children. What are they passionate about? Missionary work? Feeding the Hungry? Accounting? Landscaping? Cooking? Babysitting? Video recording? Music? All of these passions can be harnessed for the glory of God! Teach and help your child to recognize and develop these talents and passions.

If our children have a sense of purpose that is in relation to the Church, I doubt they would leave it so readily behind when they strike out on their own. They need to know they are NEEDED! They are the future leaders. I can't stress this enough! Are we equipping them to be ushers, soundmen, pastors, nursery workers, youth leaders, and all the other vital roles that are involved in church ministry? If we aren't, they we have failed the church!

I am haunted by the quote, "The church is just one generation from being extinct"-unknown.

Let us not be that generation, dear parents!

11 comments:

Rachel said...

Excellent, excellent post! I am going to share this with others.

You are a blessing.

Rachel

Catherine said...

I will use these thoughts as I prepare for my students, recommending it to the parents also. Thank you, Stacie!

...they call me mommy... said...

Caught up on some of your recently posts!!! Thank you for all the challenging stuff!! So encouraging! I totally understand about old Surburban's!! :) We just had a few issues with ours, but like you, we MADE it to Bible camp this past week! :) Saw your vacation ideas in AR mag! :)

Blessings!
Amy

The Park family said...

I keep sharing these on facebook! Such a great read! Keep on sharing!
Theresa

deyoder said...

Awesome! I just wrote a paper on this exact thing. Thanks for the spurring of and the encouragement! I love the picture too!

Grace Wheeler said...

So good! My hubby and I used to be Youth Pastors about 6 years ago our goal was to "come along side the parents and support them as they raise and train their children" but sadly, so many parents wanted us to do all that FOR them!

Loved this post!!!

Chris in FL--Joyful Mother said...

Amen!!

RaD said...

I agree whole-heartedly! Kids do need to learn to serve now, today, before they get all caught up in themselves.

Tina said...

Great post! Have you read Voddie Baucham's "Family Driven Faith"? If not, I highly recommend it - I'm sure you'd love it. (Great, Scriptural challenges that are often not said in our culture - but these are things that we need to hear.) I'm also reading "Already Gone" by Ken Ham.
Thanks for the great post and great challenge.
In His love,
Tina

kathy said...

I totally agree!

Cheesemakin' Mamma said...

That quote at the end is scary, but true. Excellent post! Can't wait to read that book!

Related Posts with Thumbnails