Friday, July 23, 2010

Pointing Our Children in the Right Direction

My bloggy friend, Sarah, gave my sister a book called, "One Million Arrows" by Julie Ferwerda. It has some great insight and has challenged me to rise above the status quo of just teaching my children about the Christian walk, to instead be DISCIPLING my children. I am going to be sharing this with you as a series, so stay tuned!

"We have a very short window of time on this earth to impact our children's lives for eternity and to make sure they don't go through their days unequipped to answer the questions they'll likely wrest with as they approach adulthood:

1. Why am I here?

2. What is my purpose?

3. Where am I going?

4. How do I get there?

5.What does the future hold?

We can no longer afford to stand by, watching them succumb to the devastating lies of the devil and the world, but instead we must be ready to give them what their hearts are deeply longing for: an authentic relationship with their Creator, living out the purpose He created them for in the big picture. I believe our kids are not looking for the easy road, they're looking for the eternal road."

Oh, Amen! Hallelujah! What a challenge for us all. We can't possibly send our children in the right direction if we are not living this ourselves. Do we have authentic relationships with our Creator? Are we living out the purposes He created for us? Our are hearts longing for Him to show us the way?

Let us examine our hearts today. A true disciple or "seeker, follower" (that is what the word means in Greek), will pray and seek Him in His Word. Ask God to transfigure your relationship with Him today. Ask Him to take it to another level, so that you can show your children who He REALLY is. We cannot teach our children something that we don't know. Press in, Dear One! He is faithful. He will give you new revelation of who He is.

If you are truly "Hungering for God" check out this post by Michelle at She Looketh Well. It will challenge you greatly!
Posted by Picasa

7 comments:

Angela said...

Thanks for sharing her link. I went to visit and what a blessing.

Now that my children are much older, I'm at a place where I'm having to let go and let God right now. Praying that God will do the good work that He started in them as children and will complete it.

It's hard at times, especially when with the visual eye, they seem so far from the Lord God,,,but our Father keeps reminding me. "Angela, do you not remember yourself? Can I not care for them as I cared for you?

Connie said...

I loved the line, not looking for the easy road, but looking for the eternal road.

Ellen said...

very much looking forward to your series..I have had this very things placed on my heart of late..and it will be a blessing to read your thoughts.

Chris in FL--Joyful Mother said...

Amen..so true! And good to hear you husband is feeling better and yep, good thing for insurance. :)

RaD said...

Awesome. I agree whole-heartedly :)

Katrina said...

Oh, what a wonderful blog she has! Thank you so much for the link.

I am looking forward to your future posts about this topic of pointing our children in the right direction. This is something that I struggle with. I was not raised to have the Lord in my daily life. Growing up, it was church on Sundays and a quick prayer at meal time... and that was pretty much it. It wasn't until I had my own children that I felt the need to have the Lord in my daily life. Now I want to raise my children so that they have a personal relationship with the Lord...not just saying "hello" on Sundays, LOL.

Thank you for thinking to do this series and sharing it with us. What a blessing it has been reading your blog and getting to know you :)

Camille said...

Such TRUTH here today Stacie! YES! OH YES!! We MUST disciple our children...and how can we do it without living it ourselves?? I am sure this series of posts will be a blessing to many!

So glad to hear the LORD is teaching you many new things!! Isn't HE wonderful and gracious to us??

Blessings,
Camille
(Psalm 138:8)

Related Posts with Thumbnails