Thursday, July 22, 2010

Mid-Summer Garden and Update on Steve

I wanted to update you on my garden. I am more than pleased! This year we got about 7-8 gallons of raspberries. We eat some fresh, give some as gifts, and then freeze 4 gallons to make jam and cobblers. The rest we sell my to my sis. Andrew was watering them this year. I barely had to water them because it was such cool weather this spring.
I bought some tomato cages for my beans to climb this year. See that cyclone fence behind my garden? I'm going to get smart next year and make a bed right next to it so they can climb the fence. Duh? Then I can use my tomato cages for tomatoes!
Snickers is laying in front of my newest yard sale find! For a buck, I bought these old fire boots on a whim. I'm going to try to do something creative with them, like make them into flower pots. What would you do with them? Any suggestions?
I love this purple flower (no idea what it is called). It is spreading everywhere and is so cheerful! My day-lilies are huge this year and seem to like the weird weather. My lavender is in full bloom as well.

I have learned some lessons this year, too. I learned that you need to thin onions and that cabbages are huge! I planted them way too close together.

I love stepping outside and enjoying the fruits of my labor. God has certainly blessed this garden!

*****************************************************

Update on Steve!

He is doing so well and has been released to go back to work today. God moved so fast on this one. I'm so thankful because it was very difficult to watch my husband not be able to escape from acute arthritic pain. The meds seem to be working and now we are trying to fight the insurance company to get his infusions from 8 weeks to every 5 weeks. Each infusion of Remicaid is  $9,000 for 600 ml of medicine. Isn't that ridiculous? Praise God for insurance! So please pray that the insurance company would be cooparative and see that this is truly a need for him. Thank you!

Posted by Picasa

21 comments:

Catherine said...

Good news on several fronts for you, Stacie! Your flowers look wonderful, and I don't know the name of the flower, but I bet it is in a gardening catalog. I'm so glad God has given Steve a relief from the burden of pain. He answered our prayers!

Valerie said...

Glad to hear your garden is doing so well!:) My garden is not liking our cooler temps, my tomatoes are very slow and lazy this year. Thankfully most of what we planted in our garden is doing OK...potatoes, onions, beets, peas and carrots are doing fairly well. Ready to start planting my fall crop of beets, carrots, and peas. Praying for an extra long growing season this fall. :) Glad to hear that Steve is doing better and able to go back to work. God is good! :)

singing mama said...

Hi Stacie,
For some reason I haven't been able to comment lately, but just wanted to let you know I have been praying for you.
Luv Donna

Hydrant girl said...

Great news that he's back to work! And I love the idea of the flowers in the fire boot - I might have to steal that idea....

Jessica said...

So glad your husband received the clearance to get back to work, and I'll be remembering his need for the injections every 5 wks. You have quite a skill at gardening, all so beautiful! Ooooh, and I like the boots, too...I think using them as planters is a fun idea!

RaD said...

Yay! Glad to hear your hubby is back on his feet. And once again your gardening skills are amazing, I'm more than just a little bit jealous :)

Stacie, A Firefighter's Wife said...

Thank you, Donna! Your prayers are working!

Camille said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Cheesemakin' Mamma said...

I loved watching your garden grow this past week.

So happy Steve is back to work! Praying the insurance will pay!!!

Love ya, Sis!

Becca said...

I like the fire boots just as they are. Cute idea incorporating them into your landscaping!

So glad to hear your husband is doing better! What a blessing!

OurLilFullFam said...

Oh my, prayers on the way for the insurance compnay to pay for those!

I am glad he is feeling better!

Your garden in so good. I have a fence like that too, and want to use it as such, but can't put my garden too close because of the poison ivy that the devil himself must have planted!

I cannot kill it no matter what we do - and we have tried so much. I swear next year I am calling a landscaper company to come dig up ALL the roots - I just hope it doesn't take my fence being removed - it is in a prime location for a garden support system.

Hope y'all are enjoying the rest of your summer!!

Stephanie

Camille said...

How WONDERFUL your garden looks Stacie!! SOOOO beautiful! I *love* the purple flowers you have growing there by the rockwork...very pretty! :)

SUCH good news about Steve! Sorry to hear you have to fight your insurance for the meds!! Makes me VERY thankful for the healthcare system we have!

I will remember you all in prayer that the insurance will cover what Steve needs!

Have a WONDERFUL day!
Love,
Camille

P.S. Sorry about the deleted comment, I just wanted to change my wording. :)

candy said...

OH Stacie I am so thankful that Steve is better.I am loving all of your friends comments they lift me up too. You have some awesome BLOG buddies.
About the boots...are you sure their not going to end up in the DRESS UP box. I can see my buddies,Andrew and Jacob putting them on with the Firefighter costume. But if the stay put in garden they would be perfect with flowers in them.You are so creative.I love you.

Amy said...

So glad that your hubby is back on the mend. Prayers for your insurance. Remember to ask to talk to supervisors and get their names.

Have a wonderful day.

Sandy said...

So glad to hear Steve is doing better and will keep you in my prayers - yes that is ridiculous.

Oh, and I love the idea of the using the boots as planters. I'd plant something that will drop down over - like sweet allysum. Or maybe a reddish lantana to symbolize fire?

Cheesemakin' Mamma said...

I definitely like the new blog background, even better than your old one, I think.

Grandma Becky said...

I like your blog background as well. I noticed it was different the minute I was on here. Anyway, love the flowers and garden update. My tomatoes are coming on finally and think we can eat lettuce next week. Glad that Steve is much improved and back to work. Will continue to pray for his physical needs and the insurance company. It's outrageous how much meds cost any more.
Hugs!

Jasmine said...

I'm so happy Steve is better. I didn't realize his pain. I will be praying, Stacie.

Stacie, your garden is precious and love the boots. I love the idea of making them into flower pots. :-) xox

Stacie, A Firefighter's Wife said...

Thank you all for your sweet support for my husband. Your prayers are like sweet incense before the Lord.

I thank you for the suggestions on the fire boots. I can't wait to fill them up next spring with some beautiful flowers.

Stephani, I am so thankful we don't have poisen ivy in our backyard. It sounds awful to get rid of!

Mrs. Lukie said...

Praying for you guys...and so happy Steve received clearance to go back to work!

I also love the idea of using the boots as a planter--cute!

The purple flowers look identical to what we have growing around here. It's called "Society Garlic." Have you noticed a slight smell to them? The Society Garlic has a slightly garlicky smell, but are really pretty :)

Stacie, A Firefighter's Wife said...

Sarah, I can't wait to get out there and smell those purple flowers! What a cute name, "society garlic".

Related Posts with Thumbnails