Friday, July 9, 2010

Creative Ways to Use Up Leftovers

One of the problems of having a large family is leftovers. It seems there is never enough for another meal. What do you do with all of these small amounts of food that seem to hang out in your fridge until they grow mold?

I have been trying to think outside the box. I hate throwing food away! My first creation was this Mixed Berry Chicken Salad. This uses up that small amount of chicken that might be leftover from last night's roasted chicken. Also, a great way to use up berries when the pickings in the garden get slim.

Stacie's Mixed Berry Chicken Salad
 1. Chopped or torn lettuce or spinach
2. Sliced cucumber
3. Chopped up leftover chicken
4. Add Strawberries or Raspberries or both. (I have both in my garden)
5. Pour over a nice vinaigrette. (I use Ken's Raspberry Walnut vinaigrette if I don't have time to make my own)
6. You could put some chopped nuts on top too if you wanted.

My other problem is what to do with left over sausage gravy and eggs. I came up with this creation the other day and my kids went nuts over them!

Stacie's Mini Breakfast Pizzas

1. Slice English Muffins in half, place on cookie sheet.
2. Slather with leftover sausage gravy
3. Sprinkle leftover scrambled eggs on muffin.
4. Sprinkle leftover bacon bits (optional)
5. I saute up a few mushrooms for mine and Andrew's.
6. Sprinkle grated cheddar on top.

Bake in the oven at 350 degrees until cheese is melted. (About 12 minutes or so)



I almost forgot to take a picture of them before they were all gone! I told you they were good!
Posted by Picasa

8 comments:

Amy said...

You are so clever. That salad looks out of this world. I seem to crave salad when it is so hot.

It was rainy here so we did soup and fresh bread. I miss the change of seasons like in Ohio. I had cool weather recipes and hot weather recipes. Cassaroles don't seem to go over here very well. I would do stews, soups, and cassaroles in the fall and winter.

I am trying to bloom where I am planted.

Nama said...

Yummy! Those ar egreat ideas.:) I know exactly what you mean about left overs with large families. I have learned to be creative for that exact reason. I love your ideas! I think having a large family has helped me absorb the meaning of: "Necessity is the Mother of invention!" lol. Thanks for sharing your awesome ideas. Have a blessed day! (((Hugs)))

Parsley said...

YUM....won't you email me some recipes for the recipe exchange? Did I say YUM?!

Chris in FL--Joyful Mother said...

mmmm... Okay now I'm hungry and I need to get off this computer. I've been on here way to long. You are my last stop this morning and now the hunger has hit..

Have a great day! :)

Ellen said...

I too am hungray after seeing these...wonderful ideas! many times we have small amounts of leftovers...I have used meatloaf for a pizza topping and the children loved it!
I look forward to trying the breakfast pizzas!

melaniek said...

YUM! That is so creative. I'm definitely gonna have to try that.

Connie said...

These both sound very yummy.

Sandy said...

Yum! I love both of these. They make a similar salad at the cafeteria at my work and they put walnuts and goat cheese in it.

And the pizza's what a great idea. I'm always looking for different breakfast ideas. Thanks Sandy

Related Posts with Thumbnails