"You can be well-educated in the world's eyes and still be a sorry person."
"You can graduate with degrees and have no character."
Both of these quotes are by Bob Tebow parents to Tim Tebow ( a super star college football player that is an on-fire Christian). Tim was homeschooled by his loving parents. They made decisions based on the big picture, not on an immediate gratification, easy shortcuts, or personal comfort. They raised not just Tim, but all of their kids to make a lasting impact on this world.
Bob says, "If I could get my kids to the age of twenty-five knowing and serving God, and having character qualities that please God, then I knew God would be happy and I would be happy."
Traditional education took a back seat to learning God's Word and building character through their everyday lives.
These are the principles that have guided the Tebow household:
1. Start training when they are young.
2. Teach them to memorize Scripture.
3. Emphasize humility and character above immediate pleasure and self-gratification.
4. Teach them to give thanks to the Lord in everything.
5. Use small problems to teach them how to deal with the bigger ones successfully.
6. Teach them hard work in helping out around the home.
7. Teach them not to praise or talk about themselves but to let others do it (the Tebows even discourage Tim from reading his own press clippings.)
8. Encourage them to pick heroes who model good character traits, such as humility.
9. Get them outside of themselves from an early age, caring about the needs and problems of others. In short, give them an opportunity to serve.
(This list was taken from the book "One Million Arrows" by Julia Ferwerda.)
This is a tall order! I am very challenged by this list. Even though I know I should be doing all of these things, I have let some slip. I am going to change that this very day! This very hour! I will be intentional about this. I challenge you to be as well.
We need to give our kids lots of opportunities to build their character. It needs to be a lifestyle for the whole family.
We can obviously start with helping the poor. Brain storm as a family and ask your children to pray about what they could do. They can also look through the church bulletin and find ways to serve their church body.
If you are excited about serving the Lord, they will be too!
Cute Personalized Aprons for Girls & Boys!
2 days ago