Wednesday, June 9, 2010

The Weaned Child

The Weaned Child


Psalm 131:1-3 says, “My heart is not proud, O Lord, my eyes are not haughty. I do not concern myself with great matters or things too lofty for me. But I have stilled and quieted my soul; like a weaned child with its mother, like a weaned child is my soul within me. O Israel, put your hope in the Lord both now and forever more.” (Emphasis mine)

In the past I would occasionally come across these verses and be touched that God would care enough to talk about nursing mothers in His Scripture. I felt it was a nice passage, a comforting passage about hope and being humble. But God made this portion of Scripture come alive for me a few weeks ago.

I had decided that it was time to start the process of weaning my 13 month old. Since I didn’t have a pump, I would cut out a few feedings every couple of days. I had no idea what I was in for!

Lily REALLY liked to nurse! She had no other comfort or attachment to anything besides her mama. Since my fourth child, I have not just nursed for nourishment’s sake, but for comfort as well.

As I started to wean her, she became increasingly agitated and demanding. She would scream and throw herself sideways in my arms as I tried to give her other options. She didn’t want to snuggle or drink from a sippy cup, she wanted to nurse! It has been anything but quiet and peaceful around here.

That’s when I thought of the passage again in a whole new light. “…But I have stilled and quieted my soul, like a weaned child with its mother, like a weaned child is my soul within me.”

I get it! What Scripture is saying is that even when I don’t get what I want, I should quietly and peacefully snuggle and rest in my Father’s loving arms, trusting that He truly knows what is best for me. This is not a “cutesy mother” verse to put on a Mother’s Day card, this is powerful!

Now that Lily is weaned, I can see such a difference. She is content to sit in my lap and snuggle with me. She is happy again! There are no expectations on her part. So it is with God and I. Contentment is what it all boils down to. Am I content with the blessings that He has chosen to give me? Am I satisfied to learn from the trials and “thorns” that I have been given? Can I live with the fact that He doesn’t and won’t take away everything in my life that makes me uncomfortable?

I encourage you to quietly rest in His arms today like a weaned child. Don’t avoid the pain, offer it to the God who never wastes pain and sees every tear that has been shed. You can trust Him with it!

From One Mom to Another,




Lily finally content in her Mama's arms.
Posted by Picasa

21 comments:

Catherine said...

Whew, you're up early today! I love this blog, the verse and accompanying devotion. You children are incredibly blessed to be mothered by you! And I can call you my friend!!

OurLilFullFam said...

What awesome words Stacie!

Stephanie

Amy said...

Thanks for sharing.

It is hard to be in a season of your life that is rocky. You often forget to rest in the Father's arms.

God Bless.

Parsley said...

I knew it would be hard on you both but am so glad to hear there is peace now.

Chris in FL--Joyful Mother said...

ahhhh contentment is a powerful key to loving and living an abundant life. I am learning this every day... To not complain about my daily situation but to look even at the meaningless things as life and be content in this beauty around me.

So yes contentment is where I want to dwell along with the amazing LOVE of the Father!

I am blessed! said...

I love these verses, too. Yes, they are so much more needy when they nurse. I'm sure I've been like that with God before. Every time I pray immediately going to Him with every request imaginable. It's a mark of true maturity to rest in God's sovereign plan for my life and just trust that it really will be ok. I'm still working on that:).

Weaning is always bitter sweet for me. I love the freedom, but miss the cuddle time.

Mrs. Lukie said...

As always, perfect timing with this blog entry/devotion. While I'm not a weaned child (or a nursing mother)...I AM trying to learn to be content with my life as it is right now, instead of kicking & screaming because things aren't going "my" way. I need to rest in the comfort of my Father's arms and know that He will not lead me down a path of destruction.

Rosemi said...

How very insightful Stacy. I am still nursing my toddler. I am not ready to wean her yet.

RaD said...

Wow! I never would have saw it that way.

Mich said...

I nursed my kids and never really thought of that verse like that before. Thank you for sharing. It is gret when you reread something and receive a new message.

Happy Wednesday!

Cheesemakin' Mamma said...

This is such an excellent devotion. Love how the Lord speaks to you. Thank you for passing it on to the rest of us.

Love ya!

Camille said...

So beautiful! What amazing truths are in God's Word! I love how it is always coming "alive" in "new" ways...how precious!! Your Lily is adorable...I'm so glad she is content in your arms once more. AND what lovely devotional thoughts you shared with us here...it is wonderful to truly REST and TRUST in our Heavenly Father's arms...HE knows what we NEED and what is BEST! :)

With Love,
Camille

J said...

Stacie!!! I just got caught up reading! I am SO HAPPY for y'all that you had such a great get-away! And so sad the "spa" was a let down. That's a bummer. But, I'm thrilled you got that one on one time with your man. That is wonderful!!!

And Lily is weaned. Wow. What a journey that has been. I love the verse you shared, it's application, and your encouragement.

You are a blessing to me.

mommyx12 said...

Horses! That sounds awesome. I grew up with horses but married a motorcycle man! That's what we had while camping! I love that too. I had a bike when I was younger and would ride to my hearts content but I have to say I loved riding horses. Have a great time.

Jasmine said...

Wonderful Stacie. So true - I love how God brings revelation just in time.

Blessings my friend.

xox

Camie said...

What a great post! So encouraging and very true! Bless-you and congrats on winning my give-away!

Camie

Rachel said...

Beautiful, beautiful words!

I am so blessed by the comments you leave on my blog. Thank you for taking time out of your life to encourage me and my walk. I'm grateful.

Have a wonderful Friday!!!

Rachel

Rachel and Family said...

What a deep devotion. How very true.

I loved reading about yours and Steve's trip!! I went to Donner Pass when I was little, and I would love to someday take the kids there.

Grandma Becky said...

I loved your thoughts on how God cares for us. He knows what we need and loves us. Thanks for sharing your faith and encouraging others in many ways. Lily is so adorable and so is mommy!! Loved the post about the turn outs! Hugs!

Leah said...

I am starting to wean my daughter and it is hard!! Thanks for your post on a often ignored subject!

Valerie said...

Oh, Stacie. I see now why I "just discovered" the Weaning tab on your blog. God saved it for me for just the right time. It has been a miserable week, weaning my 18 month old. We found out we are expecting our fourth child and so I started gently weaning her, slowly drying up my milk with sage as well. Distracting, sippy cups, books, car naps, still letting her nurse a 'dry' well, etc. etc. etc.


She has reacted just as your Lily did. I lamented to my husband, "How is it possible, in ALL my reading of mommy blogs, books, message boards, I have NEVER read of a little one protesting so strongly the loss of her comfort???" It was awful. Tears all around. Now, a week and a half later, sometimes she still wakes up grumpy.

I also love Psalm 131. I have had it up on my wall for a while and it ministers to me.

Anyway, thanks for this post. I can't believe it's not discussed more, especially when it is harder than the standard "he weaned himself at one year!" stories everyone else seems to have.

Prayers are welcome. I'm worn out from her tears and my fatigue. Thanks! Hugs, Valerie

Related Posts with Thumbnails