Friday, June 4, 2010

Pastor Steve's Cancer Numbers Rising


Since I started this blog over a year ago, some of you have been following have been in prayer for our Pastor. Well, he and his family need more prayers. This is part of the message that his wife, Marilyn wrote on FaceBook...

"Before we left the chemo center, we finally got word on his CEA marker: his marker was 168, which is a 68% increase since the last treatment (a significant increase). When I heard the results, it felt like someone punched me in the gut and took my breath away. We knew it would increase, and thought it may be as high as 150, but were taken aback at the sharp increase. It even surprised our care provider (she thought it might only increase by 20%). In very plain english, this means his cancer is growing, and growing more rapidly than expected.


What do we do with this information?? Good question! In simple terms, it means we have decisions to make in the coming weeks:

1) Stop treatments and let the cancer take it's natural course, and in the end Steve will pass on to eternity with Christ;

2) Continue treatments and try to slow the growth rate down, have Steve endure the side effects of chemo, "buy some time" here on earth, and then pass on to eternity with Christ; and

3) receive a miraculous healing from our Great Physician! Steve knows he is is a win-win situation: Healing on earth, or Healing with his first breath in heaven! Steve's heart is summed up by the apostle Paul, in Philippians 1:21, "To live is Christ, to die is gain."

Even though this verse sums up where Steve's heart is, it is still a very heavy cup to bear, not only for him, but for our family and our friends. At times, I feel like I can't even catch my breath, and I feel like I could vomit under the anguish and pain ahead. Yet, we continue to seek His Will, and continue to seek your comfort and prayers."

Posted by Picasa

10 comments:

Amy said...

Lots of prayers for Pastor Steve and his family.

It is in God's hands. His will will be done.

J said...

Oh Stacie, this brings me to tears. What a hard thing to walk through. I am praying.

Katie said...

Thanks for the update. I have been wondering because we went through this with our Pastor. He went to be with the Lord exactly a year ago. Prayers with him and his family.

Connie said...

This is heartbreaking news. Families go through very difficult times when they battle certain cancers. I pray that God will comfort, guide, and heal.

Leslie said...

Oh, my heart just breaks for them. Two and a half years ago my father-in-law went home to be with the Lord after a very hard fought battle with lymphoma. I can't help but be brought to tears when I think of what this family is facing. I pray that God would pour out His grace and peace upon them all, that their faith would remain unshaken, and that their eyes will remain on Him.

Leslie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sandy said...

My heart breaks to read this. I am keeping the family in my prayers.

OurLilFullFam said...

"I feel like I could vomit" what powerful words these are!

I will be praying for them for peace and for guidance with what to do. It is never easy, and God is in control, but those decisions are so hard to make as humans

Stephanie

Sarah said...

Oh my Stacie...what a hard journey for this family. I will be praying.

Grandma Becky said...

My prayers for Pastor Steve and his family. So sad but am thankful for the promise of heaven because of Jesus. Thanks for the update.

Related Posts with Thumbnails