Monday, June 7, 2010

Our Anniversary Trip (Part 2)

My favorite part of our vacation is going to the historical sites. Virginia City is a famous ghost town. It was famous for it's silver and gold mines. We found out that the silver and gold that was taken from these hills financed the Civil War.

The picture above is Steve in the county jail. They have turned it into a police museum. It was well down and we learned a lot about them men and women who protect us.
As you can see, the old houses are astoundingly Victorian. The woodwork was amazing! Where ever we go we seem to always get a picture of a fire engine. They were getting ready for their Memorial Day parade. I don't think I've ever seen a blue one before.
During the parade, Steve had me take a picture of him with these two soldiers. Steve has just about read every book written about WWII. He is a military history buff. He thought the kids would get a kick out of these soldiers. The parade had some cool WWII jeeps and motorcycles and such.
The old style buildings are still standing. Everything is mismatched and the sidewalk unbelievably uneven. But very authentic and real.
Posted by Picasa

8 comments:

Connie said...

It has been such a long time since I was in Virginia City. Glad you had so much fun.

(Thanks for the comments on my post. I will be praying for you today. You will have a good week!)

Sandy said...

Looks like a lot of fun - I love old Victorian homes and the woodwork :0)

We've been wanting to drive up to Virginia City for a while now and we haven't. Looks like we need to make the trip.

Thanks for sharing.

Sandy

Amy said...

I will have to dig out our Civil War re-enactment photos of George and I. Your hubby would love a re-enactment.

We are history buffs too.

RaD said...

It's kind of odd seeing the cars in front of the old buildings. Like a past meets present sorta moment, guess.

I haven't seen a blue fire engine either. It's kinda cool!

Mich said...

How fun! Sorry, I have been out of the loop lately, so i had to catch up.

Glad you are having a fun trip with the hubby!

Happy Monday!

Catherine said...

What sweet memories you've made. The interesting sites will stimulate conversation for some time, and it may encourage your kids to want to do the same.

Cheesemakin' Mamma said...

I loved visiting Virginia City when I went with you guys long ago. Just wish we would have had more time.

Regina @VestPocketFamilyFarm said...

Love the Victorians, like a whole different how to live culture than we have now. I still dream of living in one again. Although well aware that they leak cold air and creak tremendously. ;))

Related Posts with Thumbnails