Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Our Anniversary Trip (Part 3)

Another historical site that we visited is Donner Memorial State Park. The is where the infamous wagon train who was headed to California got stuck at Truckee pass and ended up starving. Half their party was wiped up by starvation and the others survived only after resorting to cannibalism. I hope no one is offended by my husband's actions here, but he does try to find the humor in all things, especially death. I think that is partly what makes him able to do his job.

This rock formed the chimney of the "Murphy Cabin".
The plaque on the rock, showed all the names that died on the two left hand columns and on the right were those who survived. It was almost 50/50.
This base of this memorial statue shows how high the snow pack was that year. 22 feet! No wonder they got stuck. I've always liked this statue and felt saddened as I look at the mother holding her baby, helpless to feed and protect it. I can't imagine being in her shoes.
This plaque tells the whole story. If you click on it, it will magnify it so you can read it for yourself. It would be a good home school lesson for your little ones.

We took a lovely walk around this park. The weather was incredible that day! We also went to Tahoe and ate lunch. We had a wonderful trip together and after I got home, I think it finally hit me just how hard I do work. I think I need to take a bit more time to refresh myself and our marriage. It was a bit of heaven on earth!
Posted by Picasa

10 comments:

Catherine said...

You DO work hard, Stacie, and one relaxing vacation in 15 years is probably not enough. So, I look forward to hearing about how you 'vacate' in a few hours right in your home and even surrounded by your six children!

kathy said...

It sounds so beautiful. Glad you had a wonderful time away. I think all of us mums need to takes some time off occasionally!

Connie said...

I am always so saddened by the story of the Donner party and all they went through. I can not imagine and am so thankful I have not endured such a terrible thing in my life.

Sweet pic of you and such a relaxing setting - many more quiet moments for you!

Amy said...

It looked like you had a beautiful time. I am so glad for you.


Yes, the Donner Party is very sad and it would be so horrible to know that you can't feed your child.

Have a very blessed day.

Cheesemakin' Mamma said...

That is such a pretty picture of you.

The Donner story is fascinating. Can't wait to read it to my kids when they get older. There is a lot of lessons to learn in their story.

Nama said...

I'm so glad you had the opportunity to get away alone with your husband. I really enjoyed reading all three vacation entries. Thank you for sharing them and the pictures. The Donner story is facinating and so, so sad!
My husband and I took a little week-end getaway last fall and it was so worth it! I too, came back so refreshed and told him that we really need to do it more often. As mothers and wives, we do spend our lives fueling everyone and sometimes we don't even realize that our tank is nearing empty. Getting refueled is really necessary. I can't wait to get away with him again!:) So glad you got the opportunity and that you enjoyed it! :)

RaD said...

I've been there! And I agree with you that we often don't realize how much we need to get away until we have. Then we wonder, why didn't I do this sooner? My husband and I have made it a point to try and go away together regularly (twice a year) and it feels so good.

Regina @VestPocketFamilyFarm said...

As much as I like to work hard, I equally love my times off. Our harness horse weekends through out the year refresh both of us.

Grandma Becky said...

Loved the post. Your hubby's photo is something mine would do as well. What a sense of humor? Thanks for sharing your trip with photos. It's great to get away. It's always hard for me to come back home, especially when I go to the coast. It's my special place on earth to go. Take care!

singing mama said...

Sounds like you had a lovely time away, how fantastic!
Being an Aussie I had never heard of the Donner party, but I looked it up and read up on it - very interesting, what a horrible thing to go thru! Today it is COLD here with a teeny, tiny, whiff of snow, I cant imagine being stuck in metres of snow in the middle of nowhere.
Hope your coming home was as refreshing as your time away!

Related Posts with Thumbnails