Monday, June 28, 2010

Father's Day On-Duty Visit

Steve has had to work several Father's Days in a row. This year was no different. We were thrilled when he came home for a minute! Lily couldn't stop hugging him!
Pointing at mommy behind the camera.
I tried to get a good Father's Day picture, but no such luck. This is what you get! LOL!
Silly kids that want to mess around on a booster rig, not pose for a picture!

I bought Steve an Archaeological Bible for Father's Day. He is thrilled with it. It goes into detail about the digs and finds that they have discovered. Also, talks about the culture back then.

Steve has been working hard trimming a bunch of trees and cutting some down around the house. The kids are less than thrilled when they see Dad lug the chainsaw out. That means they have branches they have to drag. Oh well, it teaches them to work hard. The boys are learning a valuable lesson on complaining. They asked how much they were going to get if they dragged all the branches. I named a price, they threw a fit. I told them "you just shot yourself in the foot, now you are doing it for free." Oh, they were mad. Better they be mad for awhile and learn a valuable lesson. They will not always get paid to do extra chores. Sometimes you just gotta get things done without the expectation of getting paid well or paid at all. We all have to help around here. I don't think I'll be hearing complaining for awhile. Aren't I a mean mama?

Steve has been hammering the overtime lately. We have had some extra bills pop up with my tooth being pulled an all. I am so thankful that he is willing to do what it takes to make ends meet. It can be frustrating at the same time because this means I can never leave the kids with him. If there is a call he wouldn't be able to call in on it. I am trying to figure this out and not be in the bad space I was in about this nine years ago when this happened. It is hard to not be resentful. I am going to be relying on friends and planning things better so that I can still get a break once a week. I'm a better mama if I can have two hours to myself to just think, pray, and run an errand or two.
Posted by Picasa

13 comments:

sunshine said...

I love the picture of hubby and the kids! It looks real and natural and sometimes that's even better, right? :)
I know, I can never get anyone looking decent around here. I want to get some professional ones taken soon. My oldest will be off to college in another year and these opportunities may pass me by.

That is great that he is willing to do the overtime in order to pay off some unexpected expenses but, I hear ya on needing some "me time" too.
I have my Tuesday night at the movies with my sister in law (and BFF). We've been going for over 10 years now and it is SO needed. If for some reason we can't go one week, I'm a bear. I think that every Mom needs a few hours to herself every week. That is not unreasonable at all. And you homeschool too, right? I say you need a couple of days!! :P

Great post! Thanks for sharing those lovely pic's of your handsome hubby and gorgeous kids.

((hugs))
Laura

melaniek said...

I hope you find a way to get those couple hours to yourself! I'm finding more and more that I need to cut out some time just for me. Love the pics!

Donna B said...

It is so hard when that happens, yet is such a blessing because we have the option of our husbands being able to work additional time to help out the family finances. So many people do not have this option.

I have found for us is to figure out how many shifts have to be done to cover the expense then make a bar graph with number of shifts on it. Each time Richard works a shift, I color one in. That way I have a visual on how long this season will last.

Richard and I have an agreement that when it is over, he will take a set period of time off from overtime so I can have some family time together and reconnect.

Stacie, A Firefighter's Wife said...

Donna, what a wonderful idea! That way you know there is an end in sight. Thank you for sharing.

Connie said...

Will be praying for you. I needed my quiet times also. Since I home schooled, it felt like I went years without them. However, if I went to wash dishes, it seemed the kids would scatter (so they wouldn't be called in to wash). Then I had some quiet!

Amber said...

I think it's great you were a "mean mama". Things like that hurt us too but I think it speaks volumes to them and their character. I once read about even planning to do something such as go to the zoo but also be resolved to turn right back around and come home if they mess up (fussing in the car...). That way they suffer the consequences and learn. I have learned when I have disciplined and it has caused me pain, they may really step it up next time! ;)

J said...

Oh I wish I lived near you and could offer a bit of respite now and again. I will be praying for you. Hang in there!

Amber said...

I can almost feel your sadness over your friends leaving as my brother, sister-in-law, and cousins are preparing to leave for France (missionaries, church planting). Exciting what the Lord is doing in their lives but they will be missed terribly. I will have to remember to keep you in prayer too. Also, I'm going to make those scones of Bev's soon & can't wait.

Catherine said...

That time to yourself is battery-charging time. Our technology doesn't work on rundown batteries why should we be any different. The Lord showed me that even an hour is better than nothing the other day when I went walking by myself on Saturday morning at 6. No one else was out and about, driving or anything. It was quiet and peaceful and refreshing. I'll pray for you.

candy said...

I love you guys!!! The pictures are beautiful.Steve you are a great Daddy!!!I am proud of you.

Thank you again or all the help.Dennis so needed it.
I guess the boys learned another lesson in helping your neighbor.They were great.

Regina @VestPocketFamilyFarm said...

Good for you Stacie, don't let them whine you into paying extra. They're of an age that they're going to push on the boundaries, push back. That's real love.

I like that pic of everyone on the truck far more than a posed perfect one.

Camille said...

LOL...a mean momma?? My children know that the things they do around here are part of being part of the "team"...they get to eat!!! :) AND have a bed to sleep in...out of the rain, etc......you get the picture.

Hang in there with the LONG hours hubby is working...it will not last forever. How precious that your kids love their Dad...such blessings!

Have a great week my friend!
Love,
Camille

Cheesemakin' Mamma said...

Good pictures, even with a few funny faces. So glad Steve stopped by on Father's Day. I know how you love your sexy man in turnouts, LOL ;)

Love ya, Sis!

Related Posts with Thumbnails