Friday, June 18, 2010

Back in The Saddle Again!

It has been almost two years since I have ridden horses. This has been torture for me. When I was growing up after a long day at school, I would jump on the back of my horse and go for a ride to unwind. I did this almost every day. You see, I have been pregnant or recovering from pregnancy for the last 10 years. For a Father's Day present I asked my twin, Jackie if she and I could go for a ride with Dad on his ranch. To coordinate this would take a lot of effort, but it turned out to be so well worth it.

God couldn't have given us better weather. It was so beautiful and warm. No wind and plenty of sunshine. The wildflowers were in full bloom and the grass was lush and green. Here I am on Dundee. This is the best horse Dad has in my opinion. Very mellow!
Dad showed us his cows. It's so cute listening to him brag about them as if they were his children.

Didn't this picture turn out awesome? That's Mt. Hood in the background. The sky was so clear you could also see Mt. Adams, Mt. St. Helens' and the tip of Mt. Rainer.

My dad should have been born a hundred years ago. He is a true cowboy and is part of a dying breed. He loves ranching and I hope that he passes all of his knowledge to our children. The horse he is riding is a horse he raised from a foal. Nellie is now his roping horse.

I love visiting old homesteads. You could tell this house was something in it's prime. The bay window was so endearing. It was still sturdy enough to walk up the stairs and check out the second level. I've never seen so much mouse poo in my life! It had four bedrooms upstairs. I always try to imagine pictures on the walls, furniture and a woman mothering her brood of children, cooking in the kitchen and such.

Oh what a day this was! I'm so thankful that Steve watched the kids this last weekend so I could spend two nights with my folks at their ranch. I was able to do 48 scrapbook pages, hunt for grey-diggers (a nasty small squirrel that lives underground) and ride horses. I even came away from this weekend with a new goal. We passed by a hay field that my dad hadn't cut yet. I decided that I wanted to learn how to swath hay. I've raked hay and baled hay with a tractor, but never actually cut it. I realized I really like being on the seat of a tractor. It is relaxing and it feels like you are accomplishing something. So sometime this next year I am going to have dad teach me to swath hay. Hey, everyone needs a goal! My sister rides a Harley, I want to drive tractors!

Life is good...

17 comments:

Hydrant girl said...

I'm so glad you got to ride again! I can appreciate how awesome it is to be close to nature like that. I'm not sure what happened, but I stopped following you. Things are back on track now.

J said...

You are SO COOL! I love all the photos. Especially the one of your dad. AWESOME!!! So glad you got the chance to get away and do something that's so special to you. I love old homes, too. In fact, while we were at the lake last weekend, we drove past one that is falling apart completely. I've eyed it since childhood, imagining just like you, a mother and her brood of children...quiet afternoons of sipping lemonade on the porch, etc.

I can't wait for your post announcing you know how to swath hay! You're a modern day Laura Ingalls Wilder! :)

Amy said...

Oh my. This is like a dream to me. I was born 100+ years too late. I would be perfectly happy here.

Have a wonderful weekend.

Mrs. Lukie said...

Oh, how awesome! Sounds like our dads are very similar ;)

Such cool pictures, too! Can't wait to read about you learning to swath hay!

His bondservant said...

Stacie,

What fun. It looks like you didn't skip a beat after not being on for ten years! And the scrapbooking...wow! I would love to get that many pages done. I am SO far behind!

Blessings,
Jackie

Connie said...

Nothing like the feel of the horse beneath and the fresh breeze in your face. What a wonderful day you gave yourself and your dad.

RaD said...

How fun! I had a love hate relationship with tractors as a teen (I drove the combines through the swathed grass fields). If you had the right music and an air conditioned tractor the day could pass by quickly. Otherwise, oh boy, you were going to be bored to death driving .06 miles an hour and looking at nothing but the endless grass rows in front of you.

Chris in FL--Joyful Mother said...

Oh wow...that view is absolutely gorgeous! And those horses...amazing! I totally think that is wonderful living out in the mountainous country...What beauty.

So glad you all got to enjoy an awesome time with your dad.

Keep on ridin those horses and tractor! Yee haw!!

:) Chris

kathy said...

What a great weekend you've had! I can defiantly relate to being pregnant or recovering for the last 11 years!
I love that old house! We don't have many like that over here (well not where I live anyway).

Angela said...

Sounds like an amazing time with your family...while hubby cared for your family...what a precious time away. You did accomplish much girl. I would have SO loved to walk through that home also..How fun! Like you, I would be imagining about the woman who lived there, who made that house a home for her family.

OurLilFullFam said...

I am so glad you got to do that! What a cool picture of your dad for sure!!


Stephanie

Catherine said...

Wow, Stacie, the pictures are lovely, and your dad is a darling. I used to love driving my tractor when I had a farm. In fact, when my kids came for visits with their children they would fight (like they were kids again) over who got to drive it...for no reason at all, just drive it.

sunshine said...

Hi there,
I followed you over from Angie's blog. :)
I really like your blog a lot. The entry under this one brought a tear to my eye. "Clara, dear Clara".

It looks like you, your sister and Dad had a lovely day. :) My Father died 13 years ago and I miss him everyday. We had a small hobby farm and he really loved that life after he retired from the Post Office.
It's nice that you are able to still create some wonderful memories with him.

Take care,
((hugs))
Laura

Katrina said...

Oh! Looks like so much fun! Makes me miss my horse. I board him on my friend's property about an hour from my house, and I don't get up there to see him nearly enough.

I am a huge scrapbooker...but it's so hard to find the time lately. I used to go twice a year to a 4-day scrap retreat. I'm thinking I need to start going again!

melaniek said...

That is great, sounds like you absolutely enjoyed yourself!

Cheesemakin' Mamma said...

I had so much fun! Thanks for suggesting we do this. Hope you get to swath hay soon! Love ya, sis!

Sarah said...

I'm so late with this comment Stacie! But wow...the day spent riding with your Dad, the beautiful photographs and the goal to learn to cut hay! Double wow!

Its hay cutting and baling time here...though we have a friend do ours and we split the bales as payment. We just took the children up to the field after dinner to muck about and roll, jump and play on the bales (square and round ones) I love the little square bales they make great outdoor seating at our mid-summer parties!

God Bless

Related Posts with Thumbnails