Saturday, May 15, 2010

Prayer is Powerful and Effective!

Prayer is Powerful and Effective


I was ten years old when my stepmother, Diana, came into my life. My twin sister and I moved in with her and my father when we were fourteen. Looking back now I am amazed at how she took on two teenagers and handled it so well. Having never had children of her own made this even more difficult for her. A while ago, I found out how she did it. She prayed. That simple…and I have proof.

While they were moving, Diana came across an old letter. She gave it to me thinking I might find it interesting. You see, when I was a teenager and things got bad and we would fight, we sometimes wrote letters to one another.

This letter in particular addressed a number of issues that I must have been struggling with (disrespect, not honoring my parents, laziness, purity and a know-it-all-attitude). Throughout the letter were her hopes, dreams and prayers for me. I found myself looking into a mother’s heart and my own broke. I realized that I pray the same things for my children.

To honor this letter, I made a beautiful scrapbook page that had the letter tucked into a pocket. I titled the page “Now I Understand”. I want to be able to take that letter out when my own children are in the throes of their teenage years. I want them to know that their mom struggled and wasn’t perfect. I want them to know that I pray for them, just as my own mother prayed for me.

I showed a friend this letter. After reading it, she said something astounding. She said, “Stacie, all of these prayers she prayed came true!” I realized that her hopes and dreams for me became a reality as I made the choice to follow God rather then the world. It gave me such hope! My prayers for my children are being heard by my loving God who holds them in the palm of His hand. I learned a valuable lesson that day. God hears the prayers and the anguish of a mother that didn’t know what else to do with her child but to give her back to God.

If you are struggling with a wayward or strong-willed child, I hope this encourages you to pray even more for him or her. I continually pray that my children would follow harder after God than I do.

Remember, He listens and he answers in His time, not yours. It took years for me to change my life around and truly start living for the Lord. So don’t get discouraged if it seems like your prayers are bouncing off the ceiling. He hears you and He will answer. Keep being persistent and pray in faith.


These are pictures of our Mother's Day outing on the Klickitat Mountians. We were waiting for Daddeo to come back from the top with the rest of the kids.

Marcus took this sweet picture of my little Jaker's Man and I together in the wildflowers.

Have a blessed day!
Posted by Picasa

18 comments:

Cheesemakin' Mamma said...

This brought tears to my eyes, as I remembered those struggles and the sacrifices Diana made to raise us during those difficult teenage years. After having three very trying days in a row with Josiah, it just reminds me to keep praying for him. It gives me hope. Thanks, Stace!

Loved the pictures, too. Love you, Sis!

Lloyd said...

I want to thank you so much for sharing this with us. It touched my heart because during the difficult years when my son's were growing up I remembered all of the prayers my wife and I cried out to the Lord. God's blessings. Lloyd

Catherine said...

My prayers are still being answered for my children because God hears us and He is faithful. Just last night my son called to talk about some personal struggles before leaving his family for Afghanistan next month. We continue praying for our children! You look SOOOO cute, Stacie; I love your shorter hair!

LizyBeth said...

Thank you for the encouragement!

Connie said...

I am so thankful God does hear our prayers. I, too, had a praying mother and went to sleep many times in my HS years to the sound of her praying. (Her bedroom was just below mine.)

deyoder said...

Beautifully written and so encouraging! It is more than good medicine for the heart when God reminds us where we've been and how He came through! What a gift you have in your mother-in-law!

Amy said...

Thanks for sharing. I have been trying to "handle with prayer" everything these days.

But the way, George and I came to the decision together to send Bri to the Christian School to Kindergarden. We now are deciding between two schools. Where she is going to Pre-School or the one that has K-12. Thanks for your prayers. Either one will be a good fit for Bri. I am leaning towards where she is. I don't think that I want to move her again. We just moved 1300 miles in July and she likes the kids that she is with. It only goes to the 2nd grade. But we are most likely going to send her to the other one 2011-2012 school year. It is likely that the one she is at now will be closed after next year.

I am seeing daily that prayers are heard and answered. Even if they aren't answered how I want them to be or I think they weren't answered.

Staci, I want you to know how grateful I am to God for finding your blog and your friendship. Your words have helped me more than words can say. I am sure that I have said this before, but it bears repeating.

Lots of Love.

J said...

Wow. Thank you for sharing that. You encourage my heart in so many ways. Thank you!!!

I also wanted to tell you that I keep thinking back to your posts on women from history and how hard they had things. I keep thinking how they must have thirsted for scripture and longed for Jesus. I think suffering makes heaven that much more beautiful. It makes me long to be with my Father and I can't help but thing these women must have had a very eternal perspective. I get so wrapped up in the here and now and forget that there is more to life than what we have here on this earth.

Thanks again, for keeping it real. I love you!

sanjeet said...

I love your shorter hair!
indian classified site

wife.mom.nurse said...

What a wonderful lady...

Thanks for the encouragement to pray for our children :)

Great pictures!

Robin said...

Typing through my tears. Very healing words there missy.

Diana is a treasure!

covnitkepr1 said...

My two kids have left the God of their youth and I keep praying they'll return before its to late.
I’ve enjoyed looking over your blog. I came across it through another blog I follow, and I’m glad I did. I am now a follower of yours as well. Feel free to look over my blog and perhaps become one as well.

christy rose said...

Oh Stacy you and Jackie have been so blessed to have such a Godly woman to lift you up in prayer and add such effectiveness to His purposes for your lives. When we agree with Him, He answers. This post was so encouraging.

Regina @VestPocketFamilyFarm said...

Your Grandpa tells me about those years, you and Jackie and how much Diana loved you both. She's precious.

RaD said...

That is so awesome. It sounds like it came at a good time too!

Tamra said...

I remember when you moved in with Diana. Funny what we remember huh? If you ever get a chance, tell your parents "Thank you!" for me. One of the best memories I have of grade school is going out to "the farm" and learning about something real and concrete, not like the city life of 1/4 acre lots. Their generosity to have all of us out there on field trips was truly invaluable and I hope they know how much it meant to us kids. Giving kids the opportunity to really live "free", even if for just a couple hours, is priceless. I have always had a great deal of respect for them.

Stacie, A Firefighter's Wife said...

I can't believe you remember that Tamra! I used to look forward to that field trip every year. It made me feel special that people were looking forward to seeing our ranch and home.

MrsCM2 said...

Thank you so much for sharing this...I was reading it while at work and I couldn't stop crying. Thanks for the encouragement. We never know how God will answer our prayer but we do know that he will. I have been praying for my daughter and yes I thought my prayers was boucing off the wall bu then God lead me to this website. Again Thank you and I pray that God continues to bless you and your family

Related Posts with Thumbnails