Sunday, May 23, 2010

Officially Potty-Trained!

Yep, it's official, our three-year old, Jacob is potty-trained! This is so exciting because we are buying less diapers.
He is very proud of himself when he goes to "feed the fish" (code for pooping in the toilet). He still yells, "I get my Buzz Lightyear" every time he goes!
Here he is in all his glory! He picked these boxer-type underwear out himself. I can't believe how much Lily and Jacob look like each other in this pic. She has surprised us with her fair hair that is coming in slowly. I think they have the same shaped lips. We gave him a big-boy hair cut to go with his big-boy undies.
Awwww, this picture makes my heart melt. On our Mother's Day hike, Jacob was complaining that he was tired, so Marcus gave him a piggy-back ride down the hill. I love to see my children help each other. I pray they will all have a special bond of friendship as they get older. Especially between the older ones and the youngest ones.
**************************************
My potty-training technique is simple. Leave them alone until they are ready. Mine were about three years old when they started showing interest. When they were interested, we went to the store and picked out a special toy that could only be played with after they went potty or poop in the toilet. When they had an accident, it was put up on top of the TV where it would be seen. As soon as they went again, they got it back. It is highly motivating after about two weeks, when they realize they seriously can't play with the toy when they have an accident. It takes the pressure off of me and puts the responsibility back on the child.
Posted by Picasa

13 comments:

Catherine said...

What sweet pictures of sweet children doing sweet things! Your house is one I would love to have grown up in, Stacie.

Jessica said...

Congrats to your son on his big boy accomplishment! What a sweet success! I love your method, by the way.

Leslie said...

Congratulations on his big achievement! It was always bitter sweet for me when my kids potty-trained. I enjoyed changing fewer diapers, but it also meant they were growing up.

I love your technique with the toy, and how it it motivates them and puts the responsibility in their hands.

J said...

Hip hip hooray!!! Three cheers for your big man!!! And three cheers for the raise your grocery budget just got! :) Little Man is also now officially potty trained and that extra $$$ each month is WONDERFUL!!!

So happy for you!

Sarah said...

Whoa! great job Big Boy Jacob!

It will be my first time potty training a boy in a few months time and I am actually looking forward to starting the process! Thank you for sharing your tips Stacie!

RaD said...

Yay Jacob!

My son prefers those underwear too! Don't tell him I told you that :)

candy said...

Wow Good Job my little buddie!!!! I love you.

Beautiful pictures of Jakers and Lily. Copies please.

OurLilFullFam said...

Yay, less diapers are always a good thing!!

Stephanie

Jennifer @ Getting Down With Jesus said...

Your children are absolutely precious. God bless you .. and your little blessings.

Connie said...

Oh yes, loved the day you put the diaper pail away!!

christy rose said...

Yay for Jacob!! He is so cute. He and Lily do look a lot alike! They are both just adorable!!

Chris in FL--Joyful Mother said...

Great potty training tip.

We just potty trained our 2.5 yr old also. I didn't purposely wait longer to train him but you know what.....I have found that it was much easier for him to understand how to poop in the toilet than our other children. My other children always had a hard time with number two....

Sooooo COngrats...!!! Yay!!!

Cheesemakin' Mamma said...

Yeah, Jacob! Hailey was doing so well for about a month now she is having "accidents" daily. It is very frustrating. We need to find another toilet toy because the Barbie is no longer working. This is a very good technique by the way, and I've shared it with many a MOPS gal. Love the pics!

Related Posts with Thumbnails