Sunday, May 9, 2010

My Garden Musings

 
The wind has finally died down enough to get out and start weeding my flower beds. I have a huge landscaped yard and there are more flower beds to weed than I can count. Sometimes it gets overwhelming, but I try to enjoy my flowers as much as possible during the summer. I used to not be able to grow anything and through the years I have managed to learn enough to make my garden look like this. It's not perfect in form. It will never be a Better Homes and Garden's type, not with all the toys in the yard, but I don't care anymore!
When we first moved in this wall was about to fall down. We redid it and then started planting flowers behind it (it was just dirt). It is filling out nicely after a few years. I hope someday, no soil will be showing, but I know I have a ways to go before that happens.
This plant has really filled out this area. I don't know what kind this is, but it looks really pretty in the spring.
This patch behind the house was nothing but dirt and a little barkchip. I turned it into my herb garden. I have chives, varigated sage, rosemary, thyme and oregano planted. It is starting to fill out more, too.

If you want to read my devotion on gardening called "Weeds and Flowers" click here. God has taught me a lot about parenting through gardening.
Posted by Picasa
This is one of many roses that I have planted in my new rose garden. I have decided to honor the memory of our two "Glory Babies" and my brother and SIL's "Glory Baby" and make them a little rose garden. The kids and I are very excited about it! Now my new passion is learning about roses.

We also planted a blueberry bush this year. Tomatoes, cucumbers, bush beans, sweet onions, and Chinese snow peas are all in the ground as well. The strawberries and raspberries are getting their blooms on and now we wait for the harvest in June and July. We have lots to look forward to!

Happy Mother's Day everyone! I can't wait to show my my mother's ring that Steve and the kids got me. The Lord has blessed me six times over!

16 comments:

kathy said...

Your gardens are looking good. I really enjoy seeing all the pics. We are coming into winter over here so most if my garden has died due to the frost. I am really starting to enjoy being out growing our own food (not much but it still saves us some money and it's fresh and has no chemical spray).
Happy mothers day to you :)

Farmgirl Cyn said...

Lovely garden photos! I have several rose bushes in my gardens...some of my favorite are "Knock-Out", which bloom nearly all summer.

Camie said...

Stacie, I love your garden pictures! Happy mothers day to you! May you be blessed!

Camie

Stacie, A Firefighter's Wife said...

I'll have to remember "Knock-out". I love roses that bloom over and over again! Thanks!

Catherine said...

Oh, Stacie, your gardens look lovely. I think the yellow all filled in behind the rock wall is Basket of Gold. And you will need at least 2 blueberry bushes for good pollination, maybe three..that is, if you want a crop. And my favorite rose is Zepher Douhin for its thornless, fragrant, and climbing qualities. It blooms continuously too. I'm not certain I've spelled it correctly, but it's close.

Mich said...

Your yard is looking pretty.

Happy Mother's Day!

Rachel said...

Beautiful garden pictures. I know what you mean about the wind. It has been so windy where we live for the last couple of days. Yuck!

Have a blessed Mother's Day!

I'm glad I found your blog. I'll be following you now, and I look forward to more pictures of your gardens.

Blessings to you!

Rachel

J said...

Happy Mother's Day to you!!! I am so glad you had a special day and that you have a special ring to remind you of how wonderfully blessed you are!

Have you heard the song "Glory Baby" by Watermark? I'm betting you have, if not, you really should listen. I love the idea of celebrating/remembering those Glory Babies with a special plant. Precious. (I might borrow that idea.)

Thank you for taking the time to photograph and post about your gardens. You have beautiful beds! I bet they'll fill out tons more during the course of the summer.

Happy Mother's Day to you!

Stacie, A Firefighter's Wife said...

Jen, that is where I got that term "Glory Baby". It was perfect for how I felt about them. God used that song to bring healing to my soul!

Sarah said...

Beautiful photographs of your garden Stacie! What wonderful work you have done!

I really love that beautiful yellow plant that has filled out wonderfully garden bed. Our home is newly built and so our garden is quite bare still...although we have justed planted our lawn and finally grass is beginning to grow!

Happy Mothers Day to you!

Nadine said...

Happy Belated Mother's Day! Beautiful photos of your gardens - thank you for sharing with us!

Blessings!
~Nadine

Amy said...

Love your garden. Great pics.

When we get a place of our own, I want a "Joseph's Dreamcoat" rose. It is a climber and a mulicolor rose.

We planted a rose when my daughter was born, but I had to leave it back in Ohio. But my Mom dug it up and is babying it for me.

Have a wonderful day.

Amy said...

Here in Texas, there is a place that has Antique roses. I haven't been there yet but my sister in law has. They are all heirlooms. I think all roses are 18.95 plus shipping.

Check them out at www.weAREroses.com

Cheesemakin' Mamma said...

Your flower beds look awesome, Stace! Pictures don't do it justice. Love the idea of the rose garden for the "Glory Babies". Very sweet. I'm sure Jerry and Sonya will appreciate it as well. Love ya, Jackie

Regina @VestPocketFamilyFarm said...

Zepherine Drouhin, Bourbon rose. Next one I want, climbs to 10 foot, continuous bloom and fragrant. What more?

We put in a Europeana, red rose and Iceberg, a white one this spring. Can hardly wait.

sanjeet said...

I love your garden pictures! Happy mothers day to you! May you be blessed!
indian classified site

Related Posts with Thumbnails