Friday, May 7, 2010

Lessons From Mothers of Old (Part Two)

Here are a few more lessons that can be learned from mothers of old...


4. During the great migration to the West, I have read of accounts of women giving birth to children in a covered wagon along the bumpy trail. Picture the comfortable maturity rooms that we have. The wonderful bed that goes up and down, the clean sheets, the ice chips, the nurses and doctor. How did these women not become bitter and resentful to husbands that forced them to leave a comfortable home for a “better life” out West? They left children behind in unmarked graves they would never see again. Children that had been run over by wagons, bitten by poisonous snakes and killed by cholera and other ravaging diseases. Again, no grief counseling, they just had to keep going. They had to prepare the next meal, wash the next load of laundry. There were no pills to take for depression, no time to be taken off to recoup. It was a hard life and for women to survive it, they became as tough as nails.

5. Recently, I watched a movie called, “Trojan Women”. This movie had a haunting scene that I will never forget. The wife of the king of the city of Troy had been captured. Her husband was killed and her son (the next heir to the kingdom) was taken. They brought her son to her to say goodbye. They had orders from the conqueror to kill him. They couldn’t let this 4-year-old boy live. I watched as the poor mother did everything she could defend her son from an army of men. When she found out he was to be killed, she let out a wail that was hard to describe. I thought to myself, “This has to be a mother’s worse nightmare. To not be able to defend your child from death. Whether it is natural disaster, famine or sword, it must be the most painful experience you could have.” She placed herself in front of her child, only to be dragged off of him. Tears came to my eyes. Her protector gone, she finally had to surrender him.

6. I think of the Native Americans. What did they do for diapers? What did they do when their child was sick, vomiting and had diarrhea in the middle of the night. How did they deal with the same problems that we deal with now?

When we think we have it so bad, lets not forget these mothers of old. Because of their strength, we have a rich history. Many of these mothers relied on the wisdom of the Bible. If they couldn’t read the Bible, they would hear the Word read from their husbands, or by going to church. It gave them strength to carry on, in the midst of depression, hardship, and dealing with death after death.

Can we learn from them? Can we take these principles, look to our God and realize that we DO have everything that we need? The rest is gravy, simply gravy.

God bless you as you continue to faithfully mother your children. Let us keep pressing on towards the goal of raising godly children who will effect the next generation and many more to come.

From One Mom to Another,

9 comments:

Catherine said...

You are right about gravey. We have lots of it! We are still, in this modern day, sending our sons off to war. And that makes my heart heavy. My son and his son will be going. Will they come back?

Stacie, A Firefighter's Wife said...

I hope so, Catherine! I pray and hope so...

Tina said...

Thank you for the wonderful reality check. We truly do have it made, yet complain about such little things. It is so easy to forget how much harder it has been for others in history, or even for others today. (Thinking of perseucted Christians around the world.)
If I could just keep my eyes focused on the eternal, while being contented in all things and aware with gratefulness of the blessings always around me. Jesus truly does provide us with everything we need, and so much more! :)
Thank you.
In His love,
Tina

Cheesemakin' Mamma said...

This is my favorite part of this devotion. We truly have it so good. Why was I complaining yesterday as my vacuum cleaner wasn't working nor was my washing machine the other day. Those things are gravy. I need to remember that! I can't imagine what the Trojan woman was feeling. It just breaks my heart. Great devotion, Stacie.

Cheesemakin' Mamma said...

Catherine,
I'm praying for them, too. I'm also praying for you. I think it would be harder to send a son to war than a husband. I know that is probably terrible to admit, but it just would be for me. I'm praying God's peace and that you will assume they will be OK. Try not to worry about the what if's, I learned from Michael's past deployment that it was wasted energy.

OurLilFullFam said...

What great thoughts. The stories we hear of women going west seem so romantic when we read them, but it was hard, cold reality. All they had was their husbands and God. With all our stuff, we get so used to not having to deend on God don't we? Thanks for the reminder!!

Stephanie

Wylie @ Shout A Joyful Noise! said...

Happy mother's day to you Stacie!
Wylie

J said...

LOve, Love, Love these posts! Such wonderful reminders. Have you read Susanna Wesley's biography? If you haven't, you need to. She lived through these very things and clung to God. Wow. Thanks for sharing your insight!

sanjeet said...

I can't imagine what the Trojan woman was feeling. It just breaks my heart. Great devotion,
indian classified site

Related Posts with Thumbnails