Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Lessons From Mothers of Old (Part One)

Dear Mothers,


There is something about the past that fascinates me. When I study different historical periods, I find myself wondering how it must have been for the mothers. It makes me realize just how easy we have it today. We have the ability to “educate” ourselves via books and the Internet. We also have many “servants” to do our chores (a.k.a. appliances and vacuum cleaners, hot water heaters). These are just a few of the things that make me appreciate the day and age in which I live…

1. When the mothers in the Bible times had a wayward son, they were not allowed to read, so they couldn’t go pick up the latest self-help book on disciplining.

2. In the medieval days as a castle was being besieged, how did mothers watch their children die of starvation and stay sane? Did they go mad, knowing they could not save their children? There was no grief or trauma counseling. How did they cope?

3. The colonial days in early America, presented mothers with the challenge of almost total isolation from other families living in the wilderness. Mothers were giving birth to children without assistance. Perhaps the only time they would see another woman was if they were lucky enough to have a midwife who would come to help birth a child. So many children died from disease that many parents refused to name their children until a certain age. Can you imagine? In these modern times, all we need to do is pick up the phone and call a girlfriend when we are lonely. It also seems that most babies are named before they even come out of the womb!

(This will be a two-part series, so please stop by in a few days for a few more lessons to be learned from our ancestors.)

Blessings to each and every mother out there!

15 comments:

Mommy B said...

I find myself thinking about many of the same things. It's crazy to me that I never would have thought of things like that until becoming a mommy myself. Can't wait to see your next post.

Catherine said...

I used to be so fascinated by the "covered wagon" experience that I wanted to have been born for that era. Error! is a better description of my fantasy. I love being alive now for what God has for me. I love being YOUR friend, Stacie. I thank God for you! I am making bread as I write this and teach in a few moments. THAT'S the modern life!

Connie said...

I watched what my mother went through: 10 births, no running water, no heat without carrying the fire wood in and carrying the ashes out, no food except what the garden would yield and the farm animals would provide, no indoor toilets/showers/baths, no wash machine, no refrigerator, no phone, no electricity, and no store-bought clothes except the men's clothing. She passed away only 3 years ago and was very happy to go to Heaven. She was a beautiful woman with a beautiful attitude. If for a second, I think I have too much to do - I remember her life and repent.

Cheesemakin' Mamma said...

I remember this devotion and it is a good one. Looking forward to the next part.

Cheesemakin' Mamma said...

BTW, love that photo!

Sarah said...

Wow! I often think about these things too Stacie! We are so blessed to have our modern conveniences such as hospitals, easy access to medicines, running water, electricity...etc.

Although sometimes our conveniences can lead us to perfectionism which is destructive to our families and homes.

My mother-in-law raised 11 children in rural Ireland with no running water and electricity for the most part. She is an amazing lady and inspires me constantly! We can learn so many skills and qualities from ladies like her.

Great post, God bless!

Stacie, A Firefighter's Wife said...

Wow, Connie! What an inspiring woman your mama was!

Stacie, A Firefighter's Wife said...

Your MIL, too, Sarah! I love these stories!

Muthering Heights said...

Those things make me so happy to live in the time that we do!

Rachel and Family said...

I so looooove old fashioned. Very good reminders of how good we have it though. I wonder if someday the future Mothers will look back on us and feel sorry for us. I think our difficulties are more spiritual and moral. I feel like I'm fighting that everyday just to give my kiddos a fighting chance in their faith.
Looking forward to part 2 on your post and my Stacie time soon.

Camie said...

Very interesting...Thank-you for your comment on my blog btw...I replied there too...

You know I think it would be so fun to have tea with you! Blessings!

Camie

Tamra said...

I was JUST having this same conversation with another set of Moms the other day. But, we were talking about whether the pioneer women would trade times knowing that their children would face the enormous evil influences that are prolific today & the trend toward God-lessness. Provides for interesting thought and lively discussion. :)

Together We Save said...

Wow - you have really made me think!!

sanjeet said...

I love being alive now for what God has for me. I love being YOUR friend
indian classified site

FaithAlways.. said...

I enjoyed your post. It's something most people don't think about these days.

Related Posts with Thumbnails