Saturday, May 29, 2010

The Best Scones EVER!

The kids and I love to go to our local tea house. Their scones are amazing! Every time I've tried to make scones, instead of being fluffy and moist they are dry and very boring. I'm telling you, Bev perfected the scone! I crave these babies! That's why I was thrilled when she said I could go on YouTube and get the recipe and watch her teach us how to make them! The kids and I watched carefully and decided to make them the next day. The first picture shows the scones cut out with a light brushing of cream and raw sugar for a topping.
They looked pretty much like hers ( mine were a bit bigger) and tasted the same. You can click on this link to watch Bev make her scones. I'm not going to bother writing the recipe down since she shows it. It's about 10 minutes long. We have made them twice now. The second time I decided to try doubling the batch. It turned out great. Also, I healthied it up a bit and used raw sugar instead of white, and used some whole wheat pastry flour mixed in with the white flour. The kids didn't notice anything and it didn't compromise the taste or the texture.
Here we are feasting on our scones. We put jam and whipped cream on them. They are not light in calories, but cheaper than going to the tea house to get your "scone fix"!

We don't use plates much if we can help it. It is way cheaper and easier to use these "fry trays" that we get at our United Grocers. Way cheaper than paper plates!

I just had to show you what the weather has been like. It is pouring here! I mean like God turned the shower on. Since there was no lightening (this time) I let the kids jump on the trampoline during the downpour. I don't know why, but they insist that they can jump higher when the trampoline is wet.

I freaked after I took this picture, because I realized that Andrew was getting his leg cast completely soaked!!! Soon it will no longer be an issue. Woo hoo! I can't wait to bathe this child properly!

I'm going to take a blogging break for a few days. I hope to come back refreshed and rearing to go. I pray that you all would have a blessed week and enjoy your families. God has given them to you as GIFTS to be loved and cherished. Remember that as you die to yourself everyday.

Love you all to pieces!



Posted by Picasa

10 comments:

Kimberly said...

Glad you found a recipe that works! We are getting the same deluge of rain- {friday} it was the same for us- the faucet left on! We never use paper plates, anymore and we are using less paper towels too. Last summer I bought a dozen plain white melmac (sp.) plates in dinner size and dessert size; I used a bunch of fabric scraps and made cloth napkins. The plates were available at a Business Costco in our area (like for a restaurant) so they were reasonably priced, durable and dishwasher safe. Between going to cloth napkins and keeping a rag box handy under the kithcen sink, we've greatly reduced our paper towel usage (like one roll a month). The cloth napkin and rag ideas came from a blog called "rural writings". Enjoy the rain!!!

RaD said...

Awww... that was a sweet thing to say at the end. Enjoy your weekend!

Amy said...

I hope you have a very blessed weekend.

It is very hot and dry here. I think we hit 97 yesterday. Makes me a bit nervous as we are preparing for hurricane season. It is suppose to very a extremely active year. I've only been here since July and it was a very silent year. But we will prepare and put our trust in God.

Bri had her last day of school on Friday. So now I get her back for the full days. I am glad. She loves school, but I love when she is home. I have lots of projects and stuff planned. She wants to bake, learn to sew, and other stuff.

God Bless.

Wylie @ Shout A Joyful Noise! said...

YUMO!!! Enjoy your blog break & have a blessed weekend!!!
Wylie

Catherine said...

You and the scones look divine! I KNOW you are having a fabulous time with your hubby, my dear, dear friend. See you soon.

Connie said...

Am going over the check out the recipe. I, too, love scones and usually do the lemon curd topping. yum yum

Too funny that you forgot about the cast. Trust it dried okay. Hope you don't have too many surprises under the cast.

J said...

Oh my. Those scones do look lovely. Thanks for sharing the link!

I'm going to keep my eyes open for some of those "fry trays." What a great idea! I don't buy paper plates because of the cost...sometimes I really miss the relief they bring!

I laughed about the wet cast...I know that bath will be wonderful!

I was thinking about you today, wondering if you and Steve have enjoyed your getaway yet. Whether it is up and coming or already past, I pray it will be a wonderful time.

Enjoy your blogging break.

Naomi said...

Another no fail recipe that is not healthy at all is just lemonaid, cream and Self raising flour. Mix it all up, cut into shapes and cook. Mine have never failed. They are so yum.

Cheesemakin' Mamma said...

I can't wait to try this. I'm going to attempt to make them with 100% whole wheat pastry flour and sucanat. Hopefully they'll turn out. Thanks for sharing!

Glad you are enjoying your break!

Sarah said...

Mmmm...those scones look amazing! I can't wait to try them...we usually bake them with dried fruit added over this side of the pond? Thank you for sharing the link Stacie!

Enjoy your blogging break!

God Bless

Related Posts with Thumbnails