Sunday, March 21, 2010

What is Your Goal?

What is Your Goal?


Dear Mothers,

I had an interesting question presented to me about a month ago. A lady was trying to get me to start a home-based business. She knew I was a SAHM and asked me, “What do you want to do with your life? What are your goals?” I don’t know where this answer came from, but without missing a beat, I replied, “To raise my children to love the Lord with all of their heart, soul and mind.” I think she was shocked. She was taken aback and didn’t know what to say! I don’t think she had ever heard that answer before. She then told me that those were very high and lofty goals. I wanted to tell her, “you ain’t a’kiddin’!”

After this question was brought up, the Lord has reminded me continually that this truly is my highest goal. Yes, it would be nice to travel to some exotic land! Yes, it would be nice to perhaps go on a short-term missionary trip. Yes, it would be nice to be able to scrapbook anytime I felt like it! It would be a lot easier for me to send my children to public school instead of homeschooling them. But this is a relatively short season in my life. God says we are to learn to “love the Lord with all of our heart, soul, and mind”. That is no small task! In order for me to be teaching my children to do so, I have to be living that as well. I need to be on my knees praying for myself and my family! I need to continue to follow in the convictions that God has placed in my heart no matter what the cost.

In order to attain goals, things must be sacrificed. That is true with any type of goal. For example, some people want more money or toys, in which you work harder and spend less time with family. What kind of sacrifices will you be making to give your children a godly heritage? You will have less toys because you will learn to be content. You will have to sacrifice your flesh daily as you seek to develop Christ-like qualities in your heart. You will have to stop giving into anger and instead be controlled by the Spirit (a big one for me). You will have to let go of back-biting, gossip, bitterness, and unforgiveness. Children can sniff out a hypocrite a mile away! They will know whether you are the real thing or not. You cannot teach those godly qualities in your children, if you, yourself, are not willing to change.

The other day, I decided to share my struggle with anger with my children. I had just blown up at them and as I was tucking them in that night I felt the Lord prompt me to ask their forgiveness. I do this often, but this time I told them, “Mommy has a really hard time not being angry when you disobey. I am working on this and I would appreciate your prayers.” They prayed for me right then and there. I have actually done better since then! I want my children to know that we all struggle with certain sins. When we blow it, we need to confess to those we’ve hurt and to God. Teaching them repentance is the key! Was that a sacrifice? You bet it was! I had to swallow my pride and allow my children to see my own struggles with sin.

So be thinking about what your goals are. How are you going to attain your goals? What sacrifices are you going to have to make? Are they godly goals or fleshly goals?

I pray that with God’s help and after all is said and done, that my children would follow my example and “love the Lord God with all their heart, soul, and mind”, even MORE than their mother did!

From One Mom to Another,

12 comments:

Sarah said...

Oh Stacie...you have no idea how strongly I identify with this post! as I have had a hard time this last 2-3 weeks; I am frustrated, emotional and have been short tempered with...well everyone! I have no idea why and yet I spent a lot of time in tearful prayer yesterday and I felt the Lord impressing on me to 'cut back'. Where these cuts will be made I don't know yet, but today I have woken refreshed and peaceful...though I think I still have lots of scripture and soul searching to do.

Thank you for this post!

Angela said...

God says we are to learn to “love the Lord with all of our heart, soul, and mind”. That is no small task!

Your right sweet sis..BUT...IF God says we are to learn this, does that not mean He WHO began the good work in us WILL complete it!!! SIGH....

As a mother of almost 46 years, but still caring for wee ones (with the daycare) I haven't lost that little stage, even though my children are 13, 17, and almost 21...

The greatest 'learning' I've done these past years is resting in the Lord, even while I'm covered in snot, and changing one poop diaper after another, being coughed on, sneezed on, than being yelled for from upstairs by the older children, 'mom where is this and what's for supper,' and of course the hubby needs my attention.

Back in the day, I did NOT rest in the Lord...I was too anxious, angry, frustrated. Wanting MY break, wanting everyone else to 'get with the program', 'why do I have to do everything around here'..'bla bla bla' (might as well say that because I did sound like a resounding BONG with no love)

As I look back in time I see the Lord was trying to teach me,,love, love, love, love believes the best, love is patient, love is gentle. It doesn't matter if the storms are blowing and the waves are crashing in your face..LOVE LOVE.

When I'm overwhelmed, I've learned to REST in Him now..Even if that means sitting on the floor with the children, while they crawl over me. Just sit at my Lord's feet (many times my Bible or journal in my hand with pen) and just rest in Him while I find strength in Him to love these wee ones, to love my family to go about my day with the multitude of chores waiting...

Those 10 to 15 minutes on the floor SO many times just bring me to a place where I receive 'peace that transcends all understanding'.

My goal..He MUST increase, I MUST decrease..plain and simple, and yes, no easy task..but praise be to God that He is the One that started the good work in me, and that also means He won't leave me in the state I find myself forever, but WILL continue transforming, sanctifying and consecrating me to Himself...

Keeping my eyes on Him and His will instead of the 'progress' that needs to be done within and around me.

When I get my eyes off of Him and on me, circumstances and others..I begin to fall, falter, and become discouraged..'oh what a wretched man I am..who will save me from this death? ..Praise be to God, through Christ Jesus....

Angela said...

Daaaaaaaaaaa..not a mother who has mothered for 46 years..but a mother that IS 46 years old..LOL Wow, if I was mothering for 46 years,,I SURE do look fine in that pic eh? LOL

Catherine said...

I HAVE been mothering for 40 years now, and it is STILL a difficult piece of work. I am always weighing a sacrifice with the flesh. Now that I have other people's children in my care for part of the day I am STILL monitoring my flesh over the sacrifice to set a good example of confession and repentance. This goal is one we never get over.

Paula said...

My goals are just like yours...oh how hard to it to die daily to our flesh. What a Godly thing to do...confessing to your children. How precious that they prayed for you. You are doing a fine job!

RaD said...

Lofty goals indeed! But right where God wants them to be. I pray I am the example to my children He asks me to be too. I soo understand this struggle and am learning to ask forgiveness of my children as well. But I've never thought to have them pray for me. What a great way to help them see that you are just as weak as they are without God's help.

J said...

Oh girl! You don't EVEN know what has been brewing in my heart. This post is like writing on the wall. I'm trying to gather my thoughts to blog about it...suffice it to say, once again, God has used your life in a major way in terms of encouraging me toward godliness and the pursuit of His purpose for my life. Thank you.

Camie said...

What a beautiful goal! Thanks for sharing dear Sister-in-Christ! Many blessings to and may you be filled with His love an joy this week!

Camie

Ellen said...

Oh this post was so well timed! And such a wonderful reply you gave when asked for your goals....they are indeed not easy some days...but every bit worth the effort :)
Thanks for sharing your heart!!

Cheesemakin' Mamma said...

I love this devotion, Stace. Great reminders! Enjoying reading everybody's comments, too.

Tina said...

Very well said! Thank you for the wonderful post.
In His love,
Tina

Amber said...

Beautifully said! How I long to remember these things daily.

Related Posts with Thumbnails