Friday, March 12, 2010

The "Wailing Woman"

My sister just went on a field trip to Baker City Interpretive Center. She asked me to post my "Wailing Woman" story. It's a little long, but so worth it!


The “Wailing Woman” Story
(October, 2003)


This year, Steve got a chance to go to an EMS conference in Baker City, Oregon. He thought it would be nice to have the whole family go. On Sunday, while Steve was in class, I thought I would take all three kids to the Oregon Trail Interpretive Center by myself. I had no idea what I was getting myself into! Here’s the story…

At the start of the museum there is a wonderful set up of a pretend wagon train. It is very realistic and has speakers that “talk” for some of the characters. The boys were really fascinated with a woman who was kneeling beside a grave crying for her baby who got ran over by a wagon. At first, I was hoping they wouldn’t find out why she was crying, so I simply told them that someone she loved had died. Well, as she was weeping, she went on to say that her child had been run over by a wagon. So I ended up having to go into the whole death conversation after all (something that takes forever to cover when you are talking to a three-year old and a five-year old).

We finally got past the “wailing woman” and were a third way through the museum when Marcus (the three-year old) announces that he has to go poop! Mind you, we are a LOOOONG ways from the bathroom, so I PANIC! I managed to drag two children and push a baby in the stroller as I race to the restroom. We got slowed us as we went by the “wailing woman, but managed to get them past her. We got to the restroom and Marcus said it was a false alarm. I make everyone go pee while we are there, though.

We went past the “wailing woman” yet again and manage to get to the exact SAME spot when Marcus said he has to go poop AGAIN! I panic (again), and started to race them all back to the restroom for the second time. Meanwhile, Josh was flat disgusted that we had to go back on account of Marcus. We went past the “wailing woman” again and Marcus goes poop in the restroom.

We go past the “wailing woman” as we headed back into the depths of the museum for the third time! We got a little farther into the museum (about half way through) when Josh got a panicked look on his face and said that he need to go poop! I couldn’t believe it, after the fuss he made about Marcus inconveniencing him!

As we ran back to the restroom, Josh said that he actually had popped his pants and that it was going down his pant leg into his boot!!! I couldn’t believe that all of this was happening! We streaked back into the restroom (past the “wailing woman”) where I proceeded to take off Josh’s pants, socks and boots. Guess what? There wasn’t any poop to be found!

I knew there was a piece of poo lying on the museum floor somewhere that some un-suspecting museum patron might step in! So after I finished cleaning up Josh, we started to go through the museum once again. This time I am scanning the floor carefully to find the nasty object that my child left behind. Right by the information desk, I spotted it! I quickly went and got a paper towel and cleaned it up. I didn’t think anyone saw me! Whew! How embarrassing!

After all that, we had to go past the “wailing woman” for the sixth time! Each time we’ve passed it, the boys had to stop and discuss why she’s crying. This time, as going past, I look back and catch Marcus looking under her skirt! I was dying of humiliation!

We finally got through the whole thing, but I decided that I would never again do this with three small children by myself. It was so stressful! I’m glad I can look back on it now and laugh. It is one of our favorite stories! Jessica was about six months old at the time. I can still see her little cheeks bouncing as we were running back and forth to the restroom.

So if you ever go the Baker City Interpretive Center, remember me when you walk by the “wailing woman"...

21 comments:

Cheesemakin' Mamma said...

Thanks for posting this, Stace! Josiah wanted me to read it over and over to him. I do think of you every time we go past the "Wailing Woman", LOL!

Angela said...

I'm so glad you listened to your sister and shared this story. I could see the whole story playing in my mind'...oh my goodness girl. that is just so funny...AND yes, I can imagine, stressful AT the time..but a memory and story to cherish to pass along ..lol

J said...

oh my goodness!!!!!!!! i am laughing so hard!!!!! I was trying to nurse while catching up on blogs, but this story made me laugh so hard Little Bit got completely distracted! ABSOLUTELY HILARIOUS!!! So glad you posted!

Amy said...

I had a good laugh about this.

Oh my.

Have a beautiful weekend.

candy said...

So Brown (family). I would of peed my pants, then what? That is so funny!!!
Trust me people this family could write a book,so many funny things.

Sarah said...

Stacie...couldn't read this the first time, for laughing so hard!! I completely lost control of myself when you got to the bit of Josh's poop going down into his boot!! Hahaha!!

Great post!!...I'm still laughing!! :)

Mich said...

LAUGHING OUT LOUD!

Oh, how I remember the days when my kiddos were that age. Great memories...

RaD said...

Ha! Ha! Ha! That is a good one. I'm glad I clicked the link from Jackie's blog, although I probably would have visited and seen this anyway.

Tonya @ Live the Adventure said...

I stopped by because Jackie recommended this story. Oh my! I began laughing about 1/2 way through and my ended up reading the rest to my daughter because she wanted to know what was so funny. I would have been a "wailing woman" at that point! Your story brought back memories of how stressful it could be to leave the house with little ones! So glad to hear you can laugh at this now!:) Thanks for sharing!

...they call me mommy... said...

Oh MAN, Stacie!!! LOL! The joys of motherhood...poop and more poop! GREAT STORY! Thanks for sharing!

Parsley said...

This just cracks me up but even though I have only one child (now a teen) I remember those times!

Thanks for the smiles.

Wylie @ Shout A Joyful Noise! said...

You can't even make this kind of stuff up! As unreal as it is, it is a day in the life only a mommy can understand!!! Oh, my word!!!!
Wylie

Deb said...

This is hysterical!!...and yes, I have a story to share with you--I'll e-mail it though cause I'm afraid my 19 year old daughter would die from embarrassment!! :o)
Stacie, thanks so much for your encouragement and your prayers!!
Deb

Camille said...

What an impression that made!! :) Fun times...little ones in multiples are FUN and STRESSFUL and we wouldn't trade 'em for ANYTHING!! Have a wonderful weekend!

Love,
Camille

Katie said...

Hysterical! My Boys keep asking me "Mommy, what are you laughing at?" I could see something like that happening here!

Have a great day!!

Grandma Becky said...

Oh my! I remember the wailing woman. We were over there years ago with our children when they were older. It was quite interesting. Poor mom and potty detail. The things we go through for our children. Happy Days!

Naomi said...

That is so funny Stacie. I would have been the wailing woman by the end of the visit.

Jessica said...

LOL Your a great story teller! This definitely made me smile, thanks for that!

OurLilFullFam said...

Stacie,

That is so funny. One of those funny now but not funny while it is happening things! I can't believe you found the poop before someone stepped in it and became the real life wailing woman!

Stephanie

Mrs. Lukie said...

HILARIOUS!!! I could just picture you & the kids running back and forth between the bathroom & the Wailing Woman. And finding the piece of poop right by the information desk? Too funny!!!

Anonymous said...

That story is hilarious, Stacie! What we mother's go through for our children! LOL! ~Bev~

Related Posts with Thumbnails